The Shantaram soundtrack includes music by The Rolling Stones, T. Rex and Karen Dalton. This info article contains spoilers and song details for Eric Warren Singer and Steve Lightfoot’s Apple TV+ series. Visit the Soundtracks of Television section for more Vague Visages music guides.
Shantaram stars Charlie Hunnam as Lin, an Australian prison escapee who settles in India. Fayssal Bazzi co-stars as Abdullah Taheri, a Bombay resident who works for a crime lord. The storyline follows Lin as he bonds with villagers while learning about the local power dynamics. Composer Adam Peters (Savages) scored the Apple TV+ series; music supervisor Aminé Ramer (Clerks III) selected the featured needle-drops. Here’s every song in Shantaram, an adaptation of Gregory David Roberts’ 2003 novel.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Bad Sisters’
Shantaram Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 1 “The Three Nos”
- “Manchali O Manchali” by Asha Bhosle & Kishore Kumar (00:17): Lin arrives at his hotel room. The Shantaram soundtrack song plays from the street. Prabhu (Shubham Saraf) asks Lin if he likes the room.
- “Dil Di Guitar” by Nahid Ahktar (00:23): Lin arrives at Reynaldo’s Cafe. He meets up with Karla Saaranen (Antonia Desplat). Lin meets Didier Levy (Vincent Perez).
- “I Got the Blues” by The Rolling Stones (00:57): Lin finishes an awkward conversation with Karla. He walks away from her home. Lin gets attacked and robbed by a group of men.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Five Days at Memorial’
Shantaram Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 2 “Down and Out”
- “Mile Jo Kadi Kadi” from Kasme Vaade by Mohd. Rafi, Kishore Kumar & Asha Bhoslv (00:17): The Shantaram soundtrack song plays during a street sequence. Prabhu walks around with Lin. The characters sit down to eat.
- “Wildworld” by The Birthday Party (00:28): The track accompanies a flashback sequence. Lin shares an intimate moment with a woman. The characters inject themselves with heroin and talk about moving to India.
- “Cosmic Dancer” by T. Rex (00:47): Lisa Carter (Elektra Kilbey) smokes a cigarette. She walks around and listens to music. Karla arrives and talks to Lisa about getting clean.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Surface’
Shantaram Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 3 “Strange Bedfellows”
- “Meri Mano Yaro” by TBA (00:41): The Shanataram soundtrack song is performed during a restaurant sequence. Lin hangs out with Khader Khan (Alexander Siddig). A vocalist sings in Urdu.
- “Something on Your Mind” by Karen Dalton (00:46): An apartment sequence begins. Lisa listens to a record. The song drops and then picks up at 00:49 as Karla stands alone in her home.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Black Bird’
Shantaram Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 4 “Bad Medicine”
- “Oh! You Pretty Thing” by David Bowie (00:05): Roosters crow as Lin wakes up. The Shantaram soundtrack song continues during an outdoors sequence. Lin exits his tent as villagers prepare for the day.
- “Your Sorrow Is Killing Me” by Nashenas (00:23): Lin finishes a conversation with Abdullah and Khan. Music plays from a vehicle’s stereo system. Khan asks for the volume to be turned up.
- “Life Is a Dance” from Bobby and Julie by Nahid Akhtar & Mehnaz (00:29): Prabhu walks with Karla. Music plays in his village. The characters talk about Lin’s community work.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Black Butterflies’
Shantaram Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 5 “The Sin in the Crime”
- “Dare to Be Different” by Donovan (00:02): Lin enters a restaurant. The Shantaram soundtrack song plays as he embraces Didier. Lin greets Karla and Kavita (Sujaya Dasgupta).
- “Aaungi Ek Din Aaj Laoon” by Asha Bosle (00:10): Kavita meets with Nishant at a restaurant. They talk about Lin. Nishant agrees to inform his editor about the story.
- “Reggae Makossa” by Manu Dibango (00:18): A sequence at Reynaldo’s Cafe begins. Lin meets with Abdullah. Music plays from a stereo system.
- “Love and Affection” by Joan Armatrading (00:43): The Shantaram soundtrack song accompanies an interior scene. Kavita and Nishant kiss as a phone rings. The music fades as a woman from Auckland’s passport office provides information about Lin.
- “Midnight Lullaby” by Tom Waits (00:44): Lin hangs out with Karla. They listen to a record and chat. The song scores the episode’s final moments.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘From Scratch’
Shantaram Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 6 “Dead Man Walking”
- “A Forest” by The Cure (00:20): The Shantaram soundtrack song plays during a bar sequence. Karla talks to Lisa by a jukebox. They chat about Maurizio’s business deals.
- “Taiyabali Pyar Ka Dushman (Amar Akbar Anthony Soundtrack Version)” by Mohd. Rafi (00:24): A montage sequence begins. Prabhu rides a motorcycle in his village. Lin narrates about a debt.
- “Apne Pyar Ke Sapne” by Lata Mangeshkar & Kishore Kumar (00:25): Lin starts Prabhu’s motorcycle. The music continues during a transition montage. Lin and Prabhu earn money.
- “C’est Irreparable” by Greta Panettieri (00:29): Lin visits a restaurant. The Shantaram soundtrack song plays from a stereo system. Vikram speaks to a patron in Hindi.
- “Dommage que tu sois mort” by Brigitte Fontaine (00:33): Karla receives a visit from Abdullah. Music plays in her apartment. The characters talk about their romantic relationship from the past.
- “Bolo Bolo Kuchh To Bolo” by Mohammed Rafi (00:44): A street sequence begins. Nishant meets with Kavita. They talk about a lead in their investigation.
- “Kaliram Ka Dhol” by Kishore Kumar (00:47): Prabhu visits a movie theatre with Parvati (Rachel Kamath). He yells in Hindi as a musical performance begins. Prabhu turns around and discovers that Parvati is unconscious.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Dahmer – Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story’
Shantaram Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 7 “Apo Vai Pranah”
- “Shirdi Wale Sai Baba” by Mohd. Rafi (00:08): The Shantaram soundtrack song plays during a street sequence. Sunita exits a vehicle. She walks through a village as a man tracks her movements.
- “Oo My Love” from Shama-e-Mohabbat by Nahid Akhtar (00:16): Lisa and Sebastian enter a hotel. The music fades as they walk up a staircase. Lisa asks Sebastian to leave.
- “Song of a Gypsy” by Damon (00:43): Lin enters his tent. He literally lets his hair down and puts on earbuds. Lin sighs and rests as the scene ends.
- “Manchali O Manchali” by Asha Bhosle & Kishore Kumar (00:46): Prabu and Parvati sing together. The track scores the end credits.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘The White Lotus’
Shantaram Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 8 “Like in the Time of Cholera”
- “Yipmerdai” by Der Dong Dang (00:12): The Shantaram soundtrack song accompanies a street scene. Minister Pandey (Alvin Maharaj) enters a hotel. He inquires about Sunita’s whereabouts.
- “Manchali O Manchali” by Asha Bhosle & Kishore Kumar (00:16): Prabhu cleans up a tent area. The song from the end of episode 7 scores the sequence. Prabhu receives permission to court Parvati.
- “Euthanasie” by Les Olivensteins (00:39): Maurizio packages drugs with colleagues. Sebastian distributes the product. Maurizio works in front of Reynaldo’s cafe.
- “Mil Gayi Aaj Do Lehren” from Yeh Vaada Raha by Asha Bhosle (00:53): Lin celebrates a victory with his friends. Prabhu jokes around with villagers. Lin narrates about wanting to stay.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘1899’
Shantaram Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 9 “Should I Stay or Should I Go”
- “Life’s a Dance” from Bobby and Julie by Nahid Akhtar & Mehnaz (00:15): The Shantaram soundtrack song plays during a cafe sequence. Lin speaks with Kavita and meets Nishant. He then learns that they lied to him about waiting for Didier.
- “What We All Want” by Gang of Four (00:29): Didier visits Reynaldo’s Cafe. Music plays from within the establishment. Maurizio arrives and chats with Didier as Lin returns from the bathroom.
- “Manchali O Manchali” by Asha Bhosle & Kishore Kumar (00:35): Prabhu visits a movie theatre with Parvati and his aunt. He watches the film Barsaat Ki Ek Raat. The onscreen characters sing in Hindi.
- “Goodbye My Love” by Jimmy Ross (00:46): The song plays during a restaurant sequence. Lin meets with Karla. He talks about Prabhu before making a pitch about their future.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Welcome to Chippendales’
Shantaram airs weekly on Apple TV+. New episodes premiere every Friday through December 16, 2022. This article about the Shantaram soundtrack will be updated as the series progresses.
Q.V. Hough (@QVHough) is Vague Visages’ founding editor.