The Surface soundtrack includes music by John Coltrane, Nina Simone and New York Dolls. This info article contains spoilers for Veronica West’s 2022 Apple TV+ miniseries. Visit the Soundtracks of Television section for more Vague Visages music guides.
Surface stars Gugu Mbatha-Raw as Sophie, a San Francisco woman who loses her memory after an alleged suicide attempt. Oliver Jackson-Cohen co-stars as James, Sophie’s husband who embezzles money from his employer. The storyline follows the main protagonist and she tries to understand her former life, including an affair with an undercover police officer. Composer Ólafur Arnalds (Broadchurch) scored the Apple TV+ miniseries; music supervisor Iain Cooke (Gangs of London) selected the featured needle-drops. Here’s every song in Surface.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Black Bird’
Surface Soundtrack: Every Song in Episode 1 “Ictus”
- “‘Rituals’ Album Untitled” by Other Lives (00:18): The Surface soundtrack song scores an exterior sequence. Sophie jogs through her neighborhood. The U.S. Coast Guard rescues her during a flashback scene.
- “Acknowledgement” by John Coltrane (00:30): Sophie plays a record. She looks around a room. The jazz tune can be heard again at 00:31.
- “To Love Somebody” by Nina Simone (00:30): Sophie plays another record. She sits in a chair and smiles. The track plays again at 00:31.
- “Two Weeks” by FKA Twigs (00:31): The record sequence continues. Sophie dances to the Surface soundtrack song.
- “Ateam Stepping” by Gil sm, Jbrasco (00:31): Sophie closes her eyes while listening to a track.
- “Can’t Do Without You” by Caribou (00:31): Sophie dances at home as the record scene continues.
- “Jet Boy” by New York Dolls (00:32): Sophie enters a bar. A bartender pours “the usual.” The music continues in the background.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Keep Breathing’
Surface Soundtrack: Every Song in Episode 2 “Muscle Memory”
- “Valerie” by Mark Ronson feat. Amy Winehouse (00:19): Sophie rides in the passenger seat of a vehicle. Caroline (Ari Graynor) drives and plays the Surface soundtrack song. Sophie says, “Are you serious?”
- “Chopstix” by Taleban Dooda (00:20): James drives his vehicle. He listens to the hip-hop track. James eats and arrives at his office building.
- “Dark Days” by Local Natives (00:22): The track scores a driving sequence. Sophie smiles while looking out a window. She talks with Caroline about horse stables.
- “Heartbroken, In Disrepair” by Dan Auerbach (00:27): James sits at his home desk. The Surface soundtrack song plays as he enjoys an adult beverage. James watches security video on his laptop.
- “Five Days a Week and Twice on Sunday” by Grand Am (00:28): Baden (Stephan James) drives a vehicle. Music plays through the speaker system. The track fades as Baden meets with a valet driver and receives a flash drive.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘The Terminal List’
Surface Soundtrack: Every Song in Episode 3 “New Person, Same Old Mistakes”
- “TBA” by TBA (00:21): The Surface soundtrack song plays during a bar sequence. Baden picks a track on a jukebox. He tells Sophie how they met outside the Lennox House.
- “Move Like a Boss” by Fivio Foreign feat Young M.A (00:41): James zones out at a bar. Harrison (François Arnaud) asks if he is okay. The track continues as James decides to have another drink.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘The Bear’
Surface Soundtrack: Every Song in Episode 4 “Psychogenic”
- “There You Go” by OHNO (00:13): The Surface soundtrack song plays during a bar sequence. Baden enjoys an adult beverage. He speaks with Todd (Andres Joseph) about a “supplies” transaction.
- “You Ain’t Alone” by Alabama Shakers (00:24): Sophie looks at herself in a mirror. James returns home from work. Sophie talks to her husband about celebrating their anniversary.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Black Bird’
Surface Soundtrack: Every Song in Episode 5 “It Comes in Waves”
- “Weightless” by Jaguar Jaaguar (00:15): The Surface soundtrack song scores an interior sequence. Sophie plays a record. She pours a drink and gets ready for a party.
- “String Quartet No. 3 in C Major, Op. 76 — “Emperor”: III. Menuetto Allegro” by Royal Philharmonic Chamber Ensemble & Jonathan Carney (00:24): James navigates a social event. He speaks with Elliot (Markian Tarasiuk) and Harrison. James inquires about Sophie’s whereabouts.
- “String Quartet No. 12, Op. 96” by TBA (00:32): A museum party sequence continues. James looks for Sophie. He talks to Caroline about their relationship.
- “Tender Play” by Bamyasi (00:35): Sophie enters a bar. The Surface soundtrack song plays from within the establishment. Sophie receives a drink without ordering.
- “That’s When I Reach for My Revolver” by Mission of Burma (00:40): Sophie wakes up from a day dream about Eliza (Millie Brady). She gasps and spills a drink. Sophie looks at a female bar patron and walks away.
- “Floating Points” by LesAlpx (00:40): Sophie walks to a dance floor. The track scores a slo-mo sequence. Sophie relaxes and then thinks about Eliza.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Five Days at Memorial’
Surface Soundtrack: Every Song in Episode 6 “The Myth of California”
- “Time (You and I)” by Khruangbin (00:08): The Surface soundtrack song accompanies a flashback scene. James hangs out with Sophie. James pops a bottle of champagne.
- “Hollywood Swinging” by Kool & The Gang (00:09): The flashback scene continues. James and Sophie dance together.
- “My Baby Just Cares for Me” by Nina Simone (00:09): James and Sophie hang out during the flashback scene. They sit on a couch and talk.
- “Around the World” by Daft Punk (00:09): James and Sophie dance during the flashback scene.
- “claws” by Charli XCX (00:09): A dance montage continues. Sophie plays another record.
- “Moody’s Mood for Love” by The Blues Stars of France (00:09): James and Sophie slow dance. The Surface soundtrack song plays again at 00:54 during the end credits.
- “To Love Somebody” by Nina Simone (00:23): James and Sophie decide to live together. They hug and celebrate. The music continues during a transition scene.
- “Kaleidoscope” by SHIPS & Tribe Music (00:27): James speaks with Harrison. They talk about a toast speech. James watches Sophie talk to a client.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘She-Hulk: Attorney at Law’
Surface Soundtrack: Every Song in Episode 7 “It Was Always Going to End This Way”
- “Blue In Green” by Miles Davis (00:34): Sophie listens to music at her home. The track continues during a transition sequence. James pulls up in his vehicle.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Mike’
Surface Soundtrack: Every Song in Episode 8 “See You on the Other Side”
- “Black Mambo” by Glass Animals (00:15): The track plays during a party sequence. Sophie speaks with Caroline. She thanks her for being a good friend.
- “Bloodless” by Andrew Bird (00:30): James visits a bar. Music plays from within the establishment. Harrison tries to give James a ride home.
- “Gonna Leave You” by Big Mama Thornton (00:33): James listens to a record. Caroline shows up and inquires if he’s ok. The Surface soundtrack song continues as James talks about Sophie.
Q.V. Hough (@QVHough) is Vague Visages’ founding editor.