The Black Bird soundtrack includes music by Guns N’ Roses, Soundgarden and Crash Test Dummies. This info article contains spoilers for Dennis Lehane’s 2022 Apple TV+ miniseries. Visit the Soundtracks of Television section for more Vague Visages music guides.
Black Bird stars Taron Egerton as Jim Keene, a drug dealer who receives a 10-year sentence during the 90s. Paul Walter Hauser co-stars as Larry Hall, a suspected serial killer who manipulates investigators. The storyline follows Jim as he relocates to a high-security prison and secretly works with the FBI on a murder case. Composer Mogwai (ZeroZeroZero) scored the Apple TV+ miniseries; music supervisor Mary Ramos (All the Old Knives) handled the featured needle-drops. Here’s every song in Black Bird, an adaptation of James Keene’s 2010 novel In With The Devil: A Fallen Hero, A Serial Killer, and A Dangerous Bargain for Redemption.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘The Bear’
Black Bird Soundtrack: Every Song in Episode 1 “Pilot”
- “Mr. Brownstone” by Guns N’ Roses (00:03): The Black Bird soundtrack song scores a November 1996 sequence. Jim counts money behind a home bar area. He watches a football game with friends.
- “Don’t Let Him Go” by REO Speedwagon (00:11): Jim meets Rochelle (Cecilia Leal). The track continues during a transition sequence. Jim and Rochelle have sex.
- “Fell on Black Days” by Soundgarden (00:37): Jim navigates a prison area. He gives a copy of Hustler magazine to an inmate. Jim works out during a montage.
- “Demon Host” by Timber Timbre (00:48): The Black Bird soundtrack song accompanies a road scene. Brian Miller (Greg Kinnear) drives a vehicle. The music fades as he arrives at an Indiana police station.
- “In Spite of Me” by Morphine (00:56): Jim reads Larry’s FBI profile. The music scores the episode’s final moments and end credits.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘The Terminal List’
Black Bird Soundtrack: Every Song in Episode 2 “We Are Coming, Father Abraham”
- “Dogs of Lust” by The The (00:02): The Black Bird soundtrack song plays during the opening sequence. Tricia Reitler (Rachel Looney) walks outdoors at her campus. The music fades as a van follows the young woman.
- “We Are Coming, Father Abraham” by James S. Gibbons (00:41): Larry rides in Brian’s vehicle. He gets upset and nervously sings the war-themed tune. Brian says, “Take it easy, all right?”
- “The Sign” by Ace of Base (00:52): Brooke Miller (Avery Echelard) listens to music with headphones on. Bill says, “How can you do homework like that?” Brooks replies with “I just can.”
- “Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm” by Crash Test Dummies (00:59): The track scores the end credits.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘The Old Man’
Black Bird Soundtrack: Every Song in Episode 3 “Hand to Mouth”
- “Flagpole Sitta” by Harvey Danger (00:43): The Black Bird soundtrack song plays during a bar sequence. Brian enjoys a drink with Lauren. They talk about Larry’s behavior and motivations.
- “Battleflag (Lo-Fidelity Allstars Remix)” by Pigeonhead (00:58): A prison montage begins. Jim returns to his cell block. The track continues during the end credits.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘The Longest Night’
Black Bird Soundtrack: Every Song in Episode 4 “WhatsHerName”
- “Possession (Rabbit in the Moon Mix)” by Sarah McLachlan (00:054): Larry asks Jimmy a question about women. The Black Bird soundtrack song scores a flashback sequence. Jimmy visits a night club and hooks up with a young woman.
- “When I Was Young” by The Animals (01:00:00): Larry thinks about getting out of prison. The track scores the end credits.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Resident Evil’
Black Bird Soundtrack: Every Song in Episode 5 “The Place I Lie”
- “Run Around” by Blues Traveler (00:12): The Black Bird soundtrack song plays during a driving sequence. Brian cruises around with Lauren. They investigate a murder linked to Larry.
- “Be My Friend Tonight” by John Prine (00:29): Brian and Lauren enter a bait shop. The track plays on the radio. John Dickey Hansen (Bill Martin Williams) recalls working with Larry.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Surface’
Black Bird Soundtrack: Every Song in Episode 6 “You Promised”
- “Lucky Man” by The Verve (00:59): Jimmy flirts with a female flight attendant. He looks out a window and breathes heavy. The Black Bird soundtrack song scores the epilogue and end credits.
Q.V. Hough (@QVHough) is Vague Visages’ founding editor.