The Black Butterflies soundtrack includes music by Janko Nilovic, Hamza and Umberto Tozzi. This info article contains spoilers and song details for Olivier Abbou and Bruno Merle’s 2022 series on Netflix. Visit the Soundtracks of Television section for more Vague Visages music guides.
Black Butterflies stars Nicolas Duvauchelle as Adrien, a famous novelist who agrees to write a dying man’s memoir. Anne-Niels Arestrup co-stars as Albert, a mysterious gentleman who claims that he killed several men during the 70s. The storyline follows Adrien as he learns the truth about a woman known as Solange. Composer Clément Tery (Héros) scored the six-episode series, which includes over 30 featured needle-drops. Here’s every song in Black Butterflies aka Les papillons noirs.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Dahmer – Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story’
Black Butterflies Soundtrack: Every Song in Episode 1 “Les Souvenirs d’Albert”
- “Nautilus” by Anna Meredith (00:00): The Black Butterflies soundtrack song kicks in during the opening sequence. Young Adrien (Valentino Genitoni Alati) sits at a table by his spilled cereal. He looks at a piece of art on the wall.
- “Pop Impression” by Janko Nilovic (00:25): Albert and Solange (Alyzée Costes) visit a beach. The music plays as they approach the sea. A young man talks to the couple.
- “Les Papillons Noirs” by BIJOU (00:58): Adrien arrives at his apartment. He deletes a file on his laptop computer. The music scores the episode’s final moments and end credits.
- “My Little Cutie” by Moody Rivers
- “Waltz Ladieu” by Keith Blainville
- “Don’t Need A Reason” by Moody Rivers
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘The Imperfects’
Black Butterflies Soundtrack: Every Song in Episode 2 “Une Proposition Déterminante”
- “Nautilus” by Anna Meredith (00:00): The Black Butterflies soundtrack song plays during the opening scene. A flashback from the first episode continues. Adrien wakes up from a nightmare.
- “I Want Your Love” by Chic (00:04): Young Albert (Axel Granberger) records Solange. The characters dance in a bedroom. The music fades as Young Albert and Solange bathe together.
- “Pop Impressions” by Janko Nilovic (00:09): A 1972 sequence begins. Young Albert and Solange ride a motorcycle in Côte d’Azur. Albert narrates about their first vacation.
- “Drug Song” by Janko Nilovic (00:11): Young Albert and Solange arrive at the home of Steven Powell (John Robinson). The Black Butterflies soundtrack song continues as they exit a vehicle and gaze at the residence. Steven welcomes the couple.
- “Samba Amigo” by Janko Nilovic (00:32): Albert asks Adrien if he’s ready to take his story seriously. A 1973 sequence in Ariège begins. Young Albert and Solange dance with a group of people.
- “Sexe” by Line Renaud (00:35): Solange waits for her dance instructor. The man pulls up in a red vehicle. The characters leave Camping Club du Lac.
- “Love Attack” by Ferrara (00:39): Albert narrates about a victim named Jacques Delmas. The Black Butterflies soundtrack song continues during a transition scene. Young Albert and Solange travel in 1974 Camargue.
- “God Bless” by Hamza feat. Damso (00:51): Carrel drives his vehicle. Music plays from the stereo system. Carrel stops his car.
- “Get Your Kiks to This” by Steve Martin
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘The Midnight Club’
Black Butterflies Soundtrack: Every Song in Episode 3 “Les Démons d’Adrien”
- “Gloria” by Umberto Tozzi (00:01): A 1978 sequence in Sète begins. The Black Butterflies soundtrack song plays as a group of young people hang out in a graveyard. The music stops as they investigate an unidentified noise.
- “God Bless” by Hamza (00:38): The track scores an overhead shot. Carrell drives his vehicle. Music plays from the stereo system.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Devil in Ohio’
Black Butterflies Soundtrack: Every Song in Episode 4 “Ivresse d’Écriture”
- “God Bless” by Hamza (00:02): The Black Butterflies soundtrack song accompanies a road sequence. Albert drives Carrel’s vehicle. He arrives at a bus station.
- “Red Sex” by Vessel (00:23): Adrien hooks up with Nastya. The characters have sex in the back room of a bar. The track drops during a hard cut.
- “Tutto va bene quando facciamo l’amore” by Alex Rossi (00:30): Adrien arrives at a night club. A man inquires about a drug exchange. Adrien kisses Nastya.
- “Who Wants It (Remix by Postaal)” by KCPK (00:31): A club sequence continues. The Black Butterflies soundtrack song plays as Adrien dances with Nastya. The track is featured again at 00:34.
- “Gone Den” by Ruppert Pupkin (00:43): Nastya tattoos a man at a club. A crowd gathers to watch. Adrien smiles at Nastya.
- “Balla balla” by Brice Diavoli (00:46): Young Albert and Solange arrive in Genoa, Italy. Music plays during a street sequence. Young Albert and Solange arrive at the home of Hans Schreiber (Philippe Brenninkmeyer).
- “O My Dead” by Ruppert Pupkin
- “The Men Who Rule the World” by Pygmy Johnson
- “Bad Things” by David Imbault, Gabriel Marini
- “Amore mio” by Brice Diavoli
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Echoes’
Black Butterflies Soundtrack: Every Song in Episode 5 “Le Succès”
- “Job’s Lament” by Godspeed You! Black Emperor (00:02): The Black Butterflies soundtrack song plays as Adrien prepares for a tattoo. Nastya jokes around about his possible design choice. Adrien exits a club.
- “Tristan Et Iseult — Acte III: Prelude” by Budapest Symphony Orchestra (00:19): The music sets in during a photo scene. Young Albert appears alongside the real Solange (Lola Créton as Young Catherine). Adrien gets punched at a boxing gym.
- “Rhythm & Sex” by Gianni Ferrio (00:21): A “1 Year Later” sequence begins. Nora (Alice Belaïdi) jogs in Corsica. She arrives at a lodge.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Keep Breathing’
Black Butterflies Soundtrack: Every Song in Episode 6 “Toutes les Réponses”
- “City Pulse” by Claude Theodore Tarade
- “All I Need” by Dom Kane
- “Sinfonia per l’Attentato” by Ennio Morricone
- “Nautilus” by Anna Meredith (01:01:00): Young Catherine plays a record. She covers up the murder of her husband as Young Adrien watches. Young Catherine flogs her back and smashes her head against a mirror.
- “Pop Impression” by Janko Nilovic, Louis Delacour (01:03:00): The Black Butterflies soundtrack song scores the end credits.
Q.V. Hough (@QVHough) is Vague Visages’ founding editor.