The Tell Me Lies soundtrack includes music by Tune-Yards, MGMT and Amy Winehouse. This info article contains spoilers and song details for Meaghan Oppenheimer’s Hulu series. Visit the Soundtracks of Television section for more Vague Visages music guides.
Tell Me Lies stars Grace Van Patten as Lucy Albright, a college student who obsesses over a male classmate. Jackson White co-stars as Stephen DeMarco, the protagonist’s love interest who spends time with his ex-girlfriend. The storyline follows Lucy as her life spirals out of control after the sudden death of a roommate. Composer Jay Wadley (Fire Island) scored the Hulu series; music supervisor Liza Richardson (Barry) selected the featured needle-drops. Here’s every song in Tell Me Lies, an adaptation of Carola Lovering’s 2018 book.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Reservation Dogs’
Tell Me Lies Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 1 “Lightning Strikes”
- “Doin’ It Right” by FEIN (00:02): The Tell Me Lies soundtrack song begins during a car sequence. Music plays through the stereo. Lucy switches the radio station.
- “Crazy” by Gnarls Barkley (00:05): Lucy prepares for a party. The track continues during a transition scene. Lucy drinks a glass of champagne.
- “Time to Pretend” by MGMT (00:11): The music kicks in during a car scene. Lucy travels with her mother. She arrives at the Baird College campus.
- “Bounce If You Want To” by Da Wolf Pac (00:17): The Tell Me Lies soundtrack song accompanies a party sequence. Lucy walks around with Bree (Catherine Missal) and Pippa (Sonia Mena). Wrigley chats with his former roommate, Evan (Branden Cook).
- “Drops of Jupiter” by Train (00:32): A memorial sequence begins. A students sings the 2001 hit. Lucy talks about the lyrics.
- “That’s Right” by Marcus Latief Scott (00:33): Lucy hangs out at a party. She walks away from Pippa and Wrigley.
- “We Gon Party Tonight” by The DeeKompressors feat. Rae (00:34): A party sequence continues. Bree hooks up with Tim (Tyriq Withers). Lucy walks around by herself and vomits as the Tell Me Lies soundtrack song continues.
- “Breezeblocks” by alt-J (00:42): Stephen kisses Lucy on her forehead. He gets up and leaves. Stephen chats with Diana (Alicia Crowder).
- “Gangsta” by Tune-Yards (00:43): Stephen hangs out with Diana. The characters hook up in a dorm room. The music drops as Diana ends a sexual encounter.
- “Addicted to Love” by Florence + the Machine (00:47): Lucy stands in her dorm room. Stephen looks at himself in a mirror. The track scores the episode’s final moments and end credits.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Only Murders in the Building’
Tell Me Lies Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 2 “Hot-Blooded”
- “Heartbeats” by The Knife (00:15): Lucy has dinner with Stephen. She talks about her travel writer ambitions. The Tell Me Lies soundtrack song continues as Lucy learns more about Stephen.
- “Everlasting Light” by The Black Keys (00:22): Stephen drops off Lucy at her dorm. The music plays as he walks away. Stephen visits his ex-girlfriend, Diana.
- “Hold You” by Bora York (00:24): Lucy hangs out with Bree and Pippa. They smoke marijuana in a dorm room. Lucy talks about her first date with Stephen.
- “Can’t Believe a Single Word” by VHS or Beta (00:34): The Tell Me Lies soundtrack song plays during a pre-game sequence. Stephen tries to improve Wrigley’s mood. Evan arrives with craft beers.
- “Wait No More” by Impirio & Emazin (00:37): Evan and Wrigley leave a pre-game gathering. Stephen drinks a beer by himself.
- “Powa” by Tune-Yards (00:39): Lucy arrives at Stephen’s door. The characters hook up. The song drops as the episode ends.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘The Bear’
Tell Me Lies Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 3 “We Don’t Touch, We Collide”
- “Guilty Filthy Soul” by AWOLNATION (00:01): Wrigley visits with a doctor. The Tell Me Lies soundtrack song plays as he receives a cortisone shot. Wrigley prepares for a football game.
- “Back to Black” by Amy Winehouse (00:40): Stephen shares an intimate moment with Diana. The characters have sex. Lucy watches a video of Diana.
- “Nantes” by Beirut (00:45): Wrigley and Pippa hug. The music continues during a transition scene. Pippa waves at Wrigley during a football practice.
- “The Chain” by Kerala Dust (00:50): Stephen looks at photos on his computer. He scrolls through images and thinks. The music drops as the episode ends.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Mike’
Tell Me Lies Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 4 “Take Off Your Pants and Jacket”
- “I Was Born to Haunt You” by Howling Slayer (00:01): The Tell Me Lies soundtrack song scores a bathroom sequence. Bree prepares for a Halloween party. She shows off her outfit to Lucy and Pippa.
- “I Believe” by Simian Mobile Disco (00:01): A party sequence begins. Bree navigates a room with Pippa. Wrigley entertains a group of partygoers.
- “Steady, As She Goes” by The Ranconteurs (00:04): Bree loses her virginity to Tim. The song continues during a transition scene. Bree stands nude in front of a mirror and smiles.
- “TBA” by TBA (00:19): Bree hooks up with Tim for a second time. The Tell Me Lies soundtrack song plays as they have oral sex. Tim asks Bree to touch herself.
- “My Time” by Sucré (00:24): Stephen has a business meeting. Bree listens to music at a library. She speaks with Drew.
- “Starts Right Now” by Chasner & Afrojack (00:29): Lucy and company arrive at a party. Bree gets ignored by Tim. Lucy inquires about the cleanliness of a bathroom.
- “Sunrise” by Yeasayer (00:49): Lucy leaves her dorm room. She walks to Stephen’s place and lies next to him. The song scores the episode’s final moments and end credits.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘The Imperfects’
Tell Me Lies Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 5 “Merry F*cking Christmas”
- “Brutal Hearts” by Bedouin Soundclash feat. Coeur De Pirate (00:01): Lucy finishes a conversation with Max. The Tell Me Lies soundtrack song kicks in as she exits his building. Lucy meets with Stephen.
- “Heartbeats” by Jose Gonzales (00:24): Stephen concludes an awkward conversation with his mother (Katey Segal). Lucy hangs out with her family. She calls Stephen and asks him about an upcoming date.
- “Looky Here” by YMMI (00:39): Lucy speaks with Parker (Aidan Alexander). Music plays from a nearby building. Lucy punches Rob.
- “On Call” by Kings of Leon (00:48): Lucy enters the bedroom of her late roommate, Macy. She experiences an epiphany. The song scores the episode’s final moments and end credits.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Reboot’
Tell Me Lies airs weekly on Hulu. New episodes premiere every Wednesday through October 26, 2022. This article about the Tell Me Lies soundtrack will be updated as the series progresses.
Q.V. Hough (@QVHough) is Vague Visages’ founding editor.
Q.V. (Quinn) Hough is Vague Visages’ founding editor.