The American Gigolo soundtrack includes music by Blondie, Ol’ Dirty Bastard and Goldfrapp. This info article contains spoilers and song details for David Hollander’s Showtime series. Visit the Soundtracks of Television section for more Vague Visages music guides.
American Gigolo stars Jon Bernthal as Julian Kaye, a former male escort who returns to his former life after serving a prison sentence. Gretchen Mol co-stars as Michelle, the wife of a businessman who bonds with the male protagonist. The narrative follows Julian as he navigates Los Angeles and tries to clear his name. Composer Marcelo Zarvos (Ray Donovan) scored the Showtime series; music supervisor Nora Felder (Stranger Things) selected the needle-drops. In addition, “Call Me” by Blondie is featured as the theme music. Here’s every song in American Gigolo, an adaptation of Paul Schrader’s 1980 film.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Devil in Ohio’
American Gigolo Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 1 “Pilot”
- “Call Me” by Blondie (00:03): The American Gigolo soundtrack song scores an opening driving sequence. Julian cruises around in his vehicle. The title graphic appears; a character performs a cover of the song at 00:53.
- “The Cannibal King” by Traditional (00:14): Julian visits his mother, Maryanne (Melora Walters). He sings a children’s song at her door. The tune is featured again at 00:17.
- “Shimmy Shimmy Ya” by Ol’ Dirty Bastard (00:22): Johnny (Gabriel LaBelle) exits a vehicle. He walks towards his new home with Olga aka The Queen (Sandrine Holt). Music plays from within an oceanside mansion.
- “Ooh La La” by Goldfrapp (00:27): Michelle (Gretchen Mol) arrives at a party. The American Gigolo soundtrack song continues as she nervously looks around. Michelle speaks with Julian.
- “The Machine” by Oliver Malcolm (00:36): Julian drives his vehicle. Lorenzo (Wayne Brady) rides in the passenger seat. The characters smile and enjoy the moment.
- “Heart of Glass” by Blondie (00:58): Julian hooks up with Isabelle (Lizzie Brocheré). The track scores the end credits.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Tell Me Lies’
American Gigolo Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 2 “Pretty Baby”
- “1-2-3-4 (Sumpin’ New)” by Coolio (00:04): Julian has a sexual encounter with Isabelle. The American Gigolo soundtrack song scores a transition sequence. Young Julian attends a pool party.
- “Say What You Will” by James Blake (00:11): Julian walks by himself outdoors. He thinks about the past. The music accompanies a flashback montage.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘The Imperfects’
American Gigolo Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 3 “Rapture”
- “Love Affair” by Trans Am (00:26): The American Gigolo soundtrack song scores a flashback sequence. Lisa Beck (Taylor Blackwell) navigates a pool area. Young Julian stands behind her.
- “Work” by Charlotte Day Wilson (00:41): Detective Sunday questions Julian about the past. The song accompanies a montage. Julian cleans up and gazes at his former gigolo outfit as the episode ends.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Reboot’
American Gigolo Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 4 “Nothing Is Real But the Girl”
- “Right Thurr” by Chingy (00:01): The American Gigolo soundtrack song scores the opening sequence. Julian snorts cocaine with Lorenzo in 2006. The music continues during a party montage.
- “Love in Motion” by SebastiAn feat. Mayer Hawthorne (00:25): Julian plays a record. He smokes a cigarette and works out. The music fades as Julian meets Anne (Heather Mazur) during a transition scene.
- “20th Century Boy” by T. Rex (00:34): Julian hangs out with Anne. They drink shots of alcohol. Music plays from within a bar.
- “Friday I’m in Love” by The Cure (00:34): The American Gigolo soundtrack song plays during a bar scene. Julian continues his date with Anne. The characters dance together.
- “No Fly List” by Obits (00:36): Julian performs oral sex on Anne. Music plays during a bathroom scene. Julian and Anne have sex.
- “I Drove All Night” by Roy Orbison (00:41): The song plays during a car sequence. Anne drinks a beer while driving. Julian watches her from the passenger seat.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Dahmer – Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story’
American Gigolo Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 5 “The Escape Wheel”
- “TBA” by TBA (00:15): Michelle recalls the night she conceived her child with Julian. The American Gigolo soundtrack song sets in during a flashback sequence in Big Bear, California. Music plays at a bar.
- “It’s a Beautiful Day” by Bigshot Bo and The Swing Crusaders (00:25): Julian arrives a motel room with Diamond (Paula Jai Parker). They inquire about Colin’s whereabouts. The track plays from a stereo system.
- “Thrill” by Future Islands (00:42): Julian speaks with Michelle. A group of cops arrive and point their weapons. The song scores the episode’s final moments and end credits.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘The Staircase’
American Gigolo Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 6 “Sunday Girl”
- “Path to Truth” by Michael Spreitzer, John Boecklin, Jeffrey Kendrick & Carl Bensley (00:03): The American Gigolo soundtrack song plays during a flashback sequence. Detective Sunday looks for her brother Andy in 2006. She discovers him passed out after an overdose.
- “Ghost Rider” by Suicide (00:13): Young Johnny waits for a bus. Music plays from a stereo system. Johnny gives five dollars to a bully.
- “Rock ‘n’ Roll Guitars” by Johnny Knight (00:19): Young Johnny drives a repaired vehicle. He gives the middle finger to a group of people. The song plays from the car’s stereo system.
- “Welcome to Jamrock” by Damian Marley (00:34): Julian exits an LAPD station in Panorama City. Lizzy arrives to pick him up. The American Gigolo soundtrack song plays from her vehicle.
- “Beat and the Pulse” by Austra (00:37): Michelle tells Richard that the police are looking for Panish (Alex Fernandez). The song continues during a transition sequence. Isabelle hosts an S&M party.
- “Broken Boy” by Cage the Elephant (00:43): Isabelle shows up in Julian’s apartment. The track scores the end credits.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Let the Right One In’
American Gigolo Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 7 “Atomic”
- “Redemption Vibe” by Clive Darien, Nathaniel Clarkson, Gordon Mulrain & Femi Olasehinde (00:17): The American Gigolo soundtrack song plays during an exterior sequence. Julian hangs out with Lizzy. The characters talk about unresolved issues.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Shantaram’
American Gigolo Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 8 “East of Eden”
- “Thrill” by Future Islands (00:19): Michells talks with Richard. She finishes a phone call and looks toward the ocean. Julian talks with his son.
- “Kiss The Sky” by Shawn Lee’s Ping Pong Orchestra (00:46): Lorenzo hangs out with Isabelle. Julian thinks about the past. The American Gigolo soundtrack song scores the season’s final moments and end credits.
Q.V. Hough (@QVHough) is Vague Visages’ founding editor.
Categories: 2020s, Crime, Drama, Mystery, Showtime Originals, Soundtracks of Television, Streaming Originals
You must be logged in to post a comment.