The Queens soundtrack includes music by Missy Elliott, Portishead and Diana Ross. This info article contains spoilers and song details for Zahir McGhee’s ABC series. Visit the Soundtracks of Television section for more Vague Visages music guides.
Queens stars Eve Cooper and Brandy Norwood as hip-hop stars who reunite with their “Nasty Bitches” bandmates. In the present timeline, the protagonists put their differences aside and tour with a musician known as Lil Muffin. In real life, both Cooper and Norwood are Grammy Award-winning artists, while Naturi Naughton rose to fame as a member of the late 90s group 3LW. In Queens, music supervisor Stephanie Diaz-Matos (Godfather of Harlem) energizes the narrative with a variety of well-known hip-hop tracks. Here’s every song in the ABC series.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘First Kill’
Queens Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 1 “1999”
- “Nasty Girl” by Queens Cast (00:00): The Queens soundtrack music scores a 1999 sequence. Professor Sex raps in a music video. The song can be heard again at 04:00 during E-Roc’s introduction.
- “Babyshark” by Pinkfong (00:01): Brianna hangs out with her five children in the present timeline. She asks Venus if she wants “row or twists.” The music fades when a graphic identifies Professor Sex as Brianna.
- “Hear Me Now” by Queens Cast (00:04): Naomi performs at The Dirty Gulch in Nashville, Tennessee. An audience member recognizes her as “Xplicit Lyrics.” The song can be heard again at 00:37.
- “All the Way Up” by Fat Joe & Remi Ma feat. French Montana & Infrared (00:05): The Queens soundtrack song plays during the title sequence. The Nasty Bitches enjoy their fame. They attend the MTV Video Music Awards after getting banned from Saturday Night Live.
- “Lose Control” by Missy Elliott feat. Ciara & Fat Man Scoop (00:06): Brianna tries on lingerie in her bedroom. She rocks a wig and heels. The music fades when Brianna slips in the hallway.
- “Ruff Ryders’ Anthem” by DMX (00:16): Jill mediates an argument between Naomi and Valeria. The Queens soundtrack song plays briefly at the end of the segment.
- “Glory Box” by Portishead (00:22): Eric speaks with Naomi. The characters reflect about the past. Eric makes a pass at Naomi in correlation with the lyric “Give me a reason to love you.”
- “Conceited (There’s Something About Remi)” by Remy Ma (00:23): Valeria struts around while looking at her phone. She catches the attention of two men. The music fades as Valeria argues with her boss.
- “Disparate Youth” by Santigold (00:24): Valeria apologies to her former bandmates. Jill states that she’s no longer “Da Thrill.” The Nasty Bitches agree to perform again.
- “Beez in the Trap” by Nicki Minaj, 2 Chainz (00:33): Jill speaks with Lil Muffin in the bathroom. She declines a cocaine offer. Jill enters Lauren’s home with her bandmates.
- “I’m Coming Out” by Diana Ross (00:43): The Nasty Bitches prepare for a tour six months after the main events of the episode. “I’m Coming Out” plays in the background.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘God’s Favorite Idiot’
Queens Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 2 “Heart of Queens”
- “Heart of Queens” by Queens Cast feat. Cam’ron (00:02): The Queens soundtrack music scores a 2001 sequence. The Nasty Bitches perform in San Diego. Naomi quits the group by the end of the song.
- “Twerkulater” by City Girls (00:05): Valeria leads a yoga class for kids. She receives a phone call from E-Roc and conspires against her bandmates.
- “Key Lime OG” by Rico Nasty (00:09): Lauren jams out at Serene Pastures Rehab Facility. She complains about her makeup getting taken away. It’s revealed that she’s at a group meeting.
- “Fast As You Can” by Fiona Apple (00:11): Jill gets shamed by a priest. She flees the church and composes herself. The Queens soundtrack song continues as the media shows up and questions Jill about her sexuality.
- “Belly of the Bitch” by Queens Cast (00:12): E-Roc meets Valeria for the first time. They discuss the future of the still-unsigned Nasty Bitches. Valeria proposes that she join the group.
- “Superthug” by Noreaga (00:21): Brianna asks Naomi to rejoin the group. The other Nasty Bitches await a response from Xplicit Lyrics. The music plays as the band reunites.
- “Feel So Good” by Mase (00:23): E-Roc flaunts signing bonus money during a dinner meeting. The Queens soundtrack song plays as the Nasty Bitches celebrate. Naomi says “It’s Queens against the world.”
- “Pump It Up” by Joe Budden (00:28): E-Roc talks to the Nasty Bitches about their upcoming San Diego show. He reveals that tickets sold out in 12 minutes. Lauren shows up and states that she’s going back to rehab.
- “Wrecking Ball” by Miley Cyrus (00:33): Jojo plays the Queens soundtrack song on a piano. Naomi performs outside the home of a record executive. The music scores the extended sequence.
- “Superstar” by Lupe Fiasco feat. Mathew Santos (00:40): Brianna gives a speech to her bandmate sans Naomi. The Nasty Bitches begin their first concert in 20 years.
- “Nasty Girl” by Queens Cast (00:42): Naomi joins the Nasty Bitches on stage. The group’s biggest hit closes out the episode.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Intimacy’
Queens Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 3 “Who You Calling a Bitch?”
- “Nasty Girl” by Queens Cast(00:00): Naomi reflects about performing at the 2021 BET Awards. The recurring song is performed as the character falls in a hole. Jojo also plays the song at 00:27 during her prep school audition.
- “Bounce Back” by Big Sean (00:01): Brianna reads a review by Lando Sarkesian. The character processes a line about “middle-aged” women. The Queens soundtrack song plays during the title sequence.
- “Whoa” by Black Rob (00:05): Brianna rhymes during an in-group battle rap competition. Naomi responds with her own verse. Brianna takes the L.
- “Oh Boy” by Cam’Ron feat. Juelz Santana (00:06): Briana begins a new verse. She rhymes about Naomi having a complex. Norwood’s character replies with a “low blow.”
- “Make Me Feel” by Janelle Monáe (00:17): Jill visits a night club with her therapist. The Queens soundtrack song ramps up as the character relaxes and dances.
- “Gfg” by Miguel (00:20): Jill arrives at a restaurant to meet friends. She realizes that it’s actually a date. Jill flees after being groped under the table.
- “Prelude & Fugue No. 2 in C Minor” by Johann Sebastian Bach (00:22): Jojo rehearses for a prep school audition. Naomi arrives and provides life advice. Jojo perform the song in public at 00:26.
- “C.R.E.A.M.”/”As Long As I’ve Got You” by Wu-Tang Clan (00:24): Jojo rehearses again. Naomi shares her L.A. ritual – tacos from El Matador. The song is also part of a performance medley at 00:26
- “Crush on You” by Lil’ Kim feat. Lil’ Cease (00:26): The Queens soundtrack tune is the third number in Jojo’s prep school audition performance.
- “Bodak Yellow” by Cardi B (00:27): The fourth number during Jojo’s audition medley.
- “Right On” by Ray Barretto (00:32): Valeria meets with Eric. They boogie on a dance floor. Valeria admits that she misses Queens.
- “Girls Gonna Run That” by Queens Cast (00:00): Valeria records a new song with Eric. The instrumental can be heard but not the vocals. The Nasty Bitches record the song as a group at 00:35.
- “To Be Young, Gifted and Black” by Nina Simone (00:35): The Nasty Bitches reunite. Eric arrives as the song fades.
- “Simple Things” by Miguel (00:41): Brianna realizes that Jeff has passed away. She lies beside his body in bed. The Queens soundtrack music scores the end of the episode.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Surviving Summer’
Queens Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 4 “Ain’t No Sunshine”
- “Set Adrift on Memory Bliss” by P.M. Dawn (00:00): Brianna sits in bed with Jeff’s body. She calls for help and thinks about delivering the bad news to her children. The music fades when the coroner leaves Brianna’s home with Jeff’s body.
- “Girls Gonna Run That” by Queens Cast (00:005): Brianna starts her vehicle. The Queens soundtrack song briefly plays via the stereo system.
- “Love Like a Sunset Part II” by Phoenix (00:06): Brianna pours herself a drink. She thinks about her late husband, Jeff. The song continues as her children wake up.
- “Ain’t No Sunshine” by Bill Withers (00:15): Jojo asks her mother to sing a song. Naomi performs the early 70s classic.
- “AM I DREAMING” by Lil Nas X, Miley Cyrus (00:27): Brianna sits with her computer in bed. She struggles to write a eulogy for Jeff. The Queens soundtrack music continues as Brianna leaves the room and screams.
- “Crown on the Ground” by Sleigh Bells (00:32): Brianna prepares to confront Jeff’s mistress, Alexis. She stands up at the funeral and says, “I’ll kindly tell her to leave.” Brianna physically attacks Alexis momemts later.
- “Love Still Finds Us” by Queens Cast feat. Naturi Naughton (00:36): Jill sings at Jeff’s funeral. Naomi plays the guitar. The music scores an extended sequence.
- “Hard Knock Life (Ghetto Anthem)” by Jay-Z (00:41): Alexis cries at Jeff’s funeral. She vomits on the body. The Queens soundtrack music plays as Brianna realizes that Alexis is pregnant.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Ms. Marvel’
Queens Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 5 “Do Anything for Clout”
- “Les Quatre Saisons: L’automne” by Antonio Vivalid (00:00): The Queens soundtrack music scores a Lil ‘Muffin sequence. The musician shoots a Marie Antoinette-themed music video for “I’m That Chick.”
- “I’m That Chick” by Queens Cast feat. Pepi Sonuga (00:01): The music video plays during an office meeting. Label executives want to know if Lauren is still “that chick.” The song plays again at 00:33.
- “Breathe” by Fabolous (00:13): Eric gets robbed by two “fans.” The robbers quickly get away. Eric tells Jojo not to tell the cops because there’s “a code” to follow.
- “Girls Gonna Run That” by Queens Cast (00:13): The Nasty Bitches, now know as Queens, rehearse together. Brianna stops the music. The song plays again at 00:31.
- “Recognize” by The Lox, Eve (00:18): Jojo inquires about Eric’s past. They enter a music studio together as the music ramps up. The Queens cast member Eve is featured on the track. Eric confronts Jadakiss, a founding member of The Lox.
- “Big Boss” by Tamara Bubble (00:20): Lauren wonders if she’s “played out.” A friend says that she’s been “gone for a minute.” Lauren hypes herself as the Queens soundtrack music continues.
- “Girls in the Hood” by Megan Thee Stallion (00:21): Lauren learns that Dojo Cat has a new ass-themed chain. Queens attends the American Music Awards. Lil’ Muffin shows up with forehead bling.
- “Like That” by Dojo Cat feat. Gucci Mane (00:22): Lil’ Muffin poses with fans. Jill walks over for a chat. Brianna decides to get “wine-wasted” and “1999 drunk.”
- “Crush on You” by Lil’ Kim, Lil’ Cease (00:24): Fivio Foreign stares at Valeria. The music continues as they flirt from afar. Fivio says that he wants to pay respect to the legendary “P-Sex” (Brianna).
- “MONTERO (Call Me by Your Name)” by Lil Nas X (00:25): Fivio makes an offer to Brianna and walks away. Naomi wonders what just happened.
- “Nasty Girl” by Queens Cast (00:00): Jill performs with “The Nasty Butches” at an AMA pre-party. The moment isn’t well-received by the members of Queens.
- “A Thousand Miles” by Vanessa Carlton (00:28): Fivio reads The Canterbury Tales. He cuts the music when Brianna arrives to teach him a lesson, in character as Professor Sex.
- “Daydream” by Wallace Collection (00:37): Jojo tells Naomi that she loves her. Valeria receives a visit from a stalker, who is actually her birth mother. Brianna learns that Alexis left town.
- “I’ll Fight” by Jennifer Hudson (00:40): Darren lights his divorce papers on fire. Jill’s bandmates comfort her. The Queens soundtrack song continues as the group takes the stage at the American Music Awards.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Angelyne’
Queens Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 6 “Behind the Throne”
- “All Rise (The Supreme Court)” by The Queens Cast feat. Pepi Sonuga (00:07): The members of Queens listen to Lil Muffin’s new recording. They don’t seem impressed. The song is featured again at 00:19 and 00:33.
- “Money Good” by Megan Thee Stallion (00:10): Jill receives questions from the press about her personal life. The Queens soundtrack song plays in the background. Jill soaks in all the attention.
- “Send the Addy” by Flo Milli (00:21): Lauren declares that she wants to drop the Lil Muffin persona. Her label agrees to the change. Lauren parties at a rented home and receives bad news.
- “Coming in Hot” by Lerae & Andy Mineo (00:28): Jill reacts to reports about her questionable behavior from 20 years ago. She learns that Lady Lemon pulled out of a music project.
- “Only Human” by Lecrae feat. BJ the Chicago Kid (00:33): Lil Muffin agrees to collaborate with Queens. The musicians celebrate.
- “Nights Like This (Honne Remix)” by Kehlani feat. Ty Dolla $ign (00:35): The Queens soundtrack song scores a night club sequence. Lauren talks with Eric at the bar. She’s worried about being homeless after being dropped from her label.
- “Dancing on My Own” by Robyn (00:39): Brianna asks her friends to dance. They collectively groove at a night club. Eric delivers good news as the episode ends.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Now & Then’
Queens Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 7 “Who Shot Ya”
- “Vanilla Sky (Queens Mix)” by Queens Cast feat. Wyclef Jean and Naturi Naughton (00:09): The Queens soundtrack song plays during a recording session. Jill works on a new project with producer Wyclef Jean. The music can be heard again at 00:31.
- “Party Up” by DMX (00:22): Lil Muffin arrives at a night club with Eric. They meet with billionaire Walter Westcott. The characters discuss a business deal.
- “Silver Soul” by Beach House (00:23): Brianna pours a glass of red wine. She thinks about her late husband, Jeff. The music fades as Brianna answers a FaceTime call from Naomi.
- “Who Shot Ya” by The Notorious B.I.G. (00:28): Lil Muffin fends off an aggressive night club patron. Eric watches from afar. The Queens soundtrack song plays as Walter Westcott approaches “Muffalicous.”
- “Kiss You Right Now” by DUCKWRTH (00:30): Naomi shares a kiss with her date. The music accompanies a slo-mo sequence.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘The Essex Serpent’
Queens Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 8 “God’s Plan”
- “No Child Left Behind” by Kanye West (00:01): The Queens members react to Brianna getting shot. The victim’s eyes briefly open during an EMT sequence. The Queens soundtrack song fades when the title card appears.
- “Hip Hop Hooray” by Naughty by Nature (00:04): Naomi writes in her notebook during a 1993 sequence. Brianna arrives to help her classmate study William Shakespeare. The music plays in the background.
- “I Love Your Smile” by Shanice (00:11): Young Brianna arrives at home with Naomi. Her mother isn’t happy with the guest’s clothing attire.
- “Push It” by Salt-N-Pepa (00:14): Young Jill meets with Brianna and Naomi. She learns that they intend to perform at a showcase event in the Bronx. The Queens soundtrack song fades as Brianna and Naomi tease Jill about being “the audience.”
- “Slam” by Onyx (00:22): Young Naomi waits on a Queens street corner for her friends. Brianna arrives with Jill and explains that they had to wait for her mother to fall asleep. Naomi discusses the details for their trip to the Bronx.
- “Weak” by SWV (00:25): Eric meets with Naomi in the hospital. He agrees to legally declare himself as Jojo’s father. The music scores a kiss scene and then fades when Valeria visits her mother’s imposter in jail.
- “Come Clean” by Jeru the Damaja (00:27): The Queens soundtrack song plays during a club sequence. Jeru the Damaja performs in front of a crowd. Naomi, Brianna and Jill arrive at the showcase event.
- “Teen Queens” by Queens Cast (00:32): The Nasty Bitches spontaneously decide on a group name. Eric introduces them at the showcase event. The music accompanies a performance sequence.
- “Until My Final Breath” by Queens Cast feat. Brandy (00:39): Jill attacks her ex-husband. She tells her group members that he shot Brianna. The Queens soundtrack music scores the end of the episode.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Welcome to Eden’
Queens Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 9 “Bars”
- “Until My Final Breath” by Queens Cast feat. Brandy (00:00): The Queens soundtrack song scores the opening sequence. The group members stand at what appears to be Brianna’s grave with Eric and Muffin. Jill walks away from her bandmates.
- “Younger Now” by Miley Cyrus (00:09): Valeria chats with her new friend Tomas (Gaius Charles). They leave a bar and continue talking at a diner. The characters kiss and decide to get married in Las Vegas.
- “Lady Z Strikes Back (Can’t Stop You)” by Queens Cast & Remy Ma feat. Brandy (00:18): Zadie aka Lady Z (Remy Ma) records a new song with Naomi. She seems ready to resume her hip-hop career after being shunned from the industry. Naomi sings the chorus.
- “Touch the Sky” by Symba (00:29): Jill nervously drives after purchasing cocaine. She throws the drugs out the window. The Queens soundtrack song fades as a police officer pulls Jill Over.
- “I’ve Got Dreams to Remember” by Otis Redding (00:34): Jill leaves a police station. She reunites with her bandmates, along with Eric and Muffin. The song plays as the characters collectively embrace.
- “High and Dry” by Radiohead (00:38): Lady Z agrees to sign with Nasty Girl Records. The characters celebrate with Eric and Muffin. Valeria visits her mother’s grave with Tomas.
- “Nasty Girl by Queens Cast (00:41): The Queens soundtrack song scores a climactic sequence in Piedras Blancas, Costa Rica. Brianna — clearly still alive — enjoys a drink near the ocean. She ignores a call from Naomi and reads a book.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Candy’
Queens Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 10 “Nasty Girl Records”
- “Lady Z Strikes Back (Can’t Stop You)” by Queens Cast & Remy Ma feat. Brandy (00:01): Lady Z performs in public. Naomi discusses Nasty Girl Records on a radio show. The Queens soundtrack song drops as Lady Z spots Frank Black.
- “All Mine” by Portishead (00:06): Valeria and Tomas take a soulmates quiz. The music plays as the characters learn more about each other. Valeria discusses her prized possession.
- “Wade in the Water” by Aaron Kaplan & Jamison Hollister (00:29): Jill speaks with her drunk father. She sings while lying in bed. Muffin chats with Lady Z and conspires to bring down their mutual attacker, Frank Black.
- “U.N.I.T.Y.” by Queen Latifah (00:37): Lady Z speaks with Naomi. She states that the world needs to hear what she has to say. Naomi agrees to write a song for Lady Z.
- “Best of Me” by Queens Cast & Remy Ma (00:38): Lady Z performs in Los Angeles. She dedicates her new track to survivors. The Queens soundtrack song scores the end of the episode as Frank Black gets arrested.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Clark’
Queens Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 11 “I’m a Slave 4 U”
- “Hannah Montana” by Migos (00:01): A TV actress named Madison (Elyse Bell) gets released from jail. The Queens soundtrack song scores the moment. Jill offers to sign Madison to Nasty Girl Records.
- “Back on My Brooklyn” by Konata Small (00:14): Eric listens to a track in his studio. The music stops when Jojo arrives.
- “Eat Them Apples” by Suzi Wu (00:35): Madison reveals that she’s free from a conservatorship. She celebrates with Jill. They agree to make music together at Nasty Girl Records.
- “Heartless” by Kanye West (00:36): Madison informs Jill and company about record deal offers. She chooses Universal over Nasty Girl Records. The Queens soundtrack song continues as Jill and her colleagues react to the news.
- “Eso Lo Tengo Yo” by Queens Cast & Nadine Velasquez (00:38): Valeria listens to her new Spanish-language song. Her colleagues react positively. Valeria chooses the track as the first single for her solo album.
- “I Love You Always Forever” by Donna Lewis (00:38): Naomi reacts to Valeria’s new song. She meets with her daughter Jojo and offers her a record deal. The music plays as the characters embrace in a music studio.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘The Staircase’
Queens Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 12 “Let the Past Be the Past”
- “Adorn” by Miguel (00:00): Naomi enjoys some bed time with Eric. The Queens soundtrack song plays as the characters laugh together. Naomi reflects about recent struggles.
- “Hear Me” by Queens Cast & Brandy (00:27): Naomi thinks about her relationship with Eric. The music continues during a montage sequence. Naomi meets with Eric’s ex, Robin (Robin Givens).
- “Summer Rain” by Leon Bridges feat. Jazmine Sullivan (00:35): Eric sits with a glass of alcohol. Naomi arrives and reveals that Robin signed off on a master recording transfer. The music plays lightly as the characters embrace and kiss.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘The 7 Lives of Lea’
Queens Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 13 “2022″
- “Oochie Wally” by Nas & Bravehearts (00:00): The Queens soundtrack song scores the opening sequence. Naomi and her bandmates freestyle over the beat.
- “Nothin'” by N.O.R.E. (00:13): Eric deliver good news to Naomi company. Chuck D of Public Enemy wants to induct the Nasty Bitches into the Hip-Hop Hall of Fame. The group discusses the possibility that Brianna might return home for the ceremony.
- “Tomorrow’s Another Day” by Queens Cast & Brandy (00:19): Naomi performs at a bar. She sings an acoustic version of the song. Lauren makes a phone call about Ronnie Mills (Marcus Gladney Jr.).
- “Family Affair” by Mary J. Blige (00:22): Lauren receives a phone call. She receives an invitation to meet with the Nevada governor. The Queens soundtrack song plays as Lauren waits to discuss the Ronnie Mills case.
- “Nasty Girl” by Queens Cast (00:32): The Nasty Bitches perform at a Hip-Hop Hall of Fame ceremony. Lauren introduces the group after delivering a message about Ronnie Mills. She then performs with her new bandmates.
- “Heart of Queens” by Queens Cast feat. Cam’ron (00:33): The Nasty Bitches perform a second medley song. Naomi sings during the first verse.
- “All Rise (The Supreme Court)” by Queens Cast (00:33): The Nasty Bitches perform a third medley song. Valeria raps the opening verse of the Queens soundtrack song.
- “Girls Gonna Run That” by Queens Cast (00:34): The Nasty Bitches perform a fourth medley track. Naomi opens the song with a rap.
- “I Choose You” by Willie Hutch (00:36): Naomi walks down the aisle at her wedding. She is joined by Jojo. Eric waits nervously for his bride.
- “Int’l Players Anthem” by UGK feat. Outkast (00:40): Naomi and Eric speak with their wedding party. Brianna texts a photo of the Nasty Bitches.
- “The Show Goes On” by Lupe Fiasco (00:41): Naomi and company wonder what Brianna’s text means. The Queens soundtrack song plays during a transition sequence at Madison Square Garden. Naomi’s return is teased during a stage introduction.
Q.V. Hough (@QVHough) is Vague Visages’ founding editor.