The True Story soundtrack includes music by 2Pac, De La Soul and Marvin Gaye. This info article contains spoilers and song details for Eric Newman’s 2021 Netflix miniseries. Visit the Soundtracks of Television section for more Vague Visages music guides.
True Story stars Kevin Hart as an American celebrity named Kid. Wesley Snipes co-stars as the protagonist’s entrepreneur brother, Carlton. When a woman dies in a Philadelphia hotel room, the brothers hire a Greek “fixer” and manipulate the media; however, Kid’s #1 fan captures video evidence that can ruin their lives. Musically, the Netflix series incorporates 16 needle drop tunes throughout the seven-episode narrative. Here’s every featured song in True Story.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty’
True Story Soundtrack: Every Song in Episode 1 “The King of Comedy”
- “Ambitionz Az a Ridah” by 2Pac (00:01): Kid speaks to Don Lemon about his past. The True Story soundtrack music scores the title sequence. Kid prepares for a talk show appearance one week prior to his series-opening commentary.
- “TSOP (The Sound of Philadelphia)” by MFSB (00:06): Herschel (Will Catlett) threatens one of Kid’s fans during a commercial airline flight. Hart’s character smooths over the awkward situation. The song continues during a Philly cityscape sequence.
- “Going Bad” by Meek Mill (00:21): Kid takes a picture with a female fan. The track scores a green room montage sequence. Kid drinks several shots of alcohol after being six months sober.
- “Hail Mary” by 2Pac (00:55): Carlton enters Kid’s room. He discovers the body of Ari (Billy Zane). The True Story soundtrack song closes out the episode.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Cobra Kai’
True Story Soundtrack: Every Song in Episode 2 “Greek Takeout”
- “I Love Music” by The O’Jays (00:08): Kid visits William Penn Children’s Hospital. The music fades as he takes selfies with various patients.
- “Devil’s Rebels” by Crypt the Warchild & ILL Bill & Vinnie Paz (00:29): Kid stops to play basketball with two men that he met earlier in the night. Carlton wonders about his brother’s intentions. Kid explains that documented photo evidence will help their alibi.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Bridgerton’
True Story Soundtrack: Every Song in Episode 3 “Victory Lap”
- “Ain’t No Stopping Us Now” by McFadden & Whitehead (00:04): The True Story soundtrack song plays during a gym sequence. Kid runs on a treadmill next to Herschel. They enter an elevator as the music fades.
- “Slow Motion (Part 1)” by Johnny Williams (00:07): Kid speaks with a woman about her dating life. The music plays during a subsequent sex scene. Todd (Paul Adelstein) chats on his phone.
- “In the Middle of Nowhere” by Vinnie Paz (00:019): Kid meets with DJ Cosmic Jack (Leland B. Martin) for a radio interview. They discuss a disgruntled fan named Gene (Theo Rossi). The True Story soundtrack music scores a cityscape night sequence.
- “Heebie Jeebies” by Bishop Lamont (00:20): Carlton enters a night club. He meets with Nikos (John Ales) and Savvas (Chris Diamantopoulos) about Ari’s whereabouts.
- “Pain” by De La Soul (00:24): Carlton calls Kid about a financial arrangement with Nikos and Savvas. The music continues during a sequence at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia. Billie (Tawny Newsome) discusses Kid’s “weird turnaround.”
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Inventing Anna’
True Story Soundtrack: Every Song in Episode 4 “We Should Be Together Too”
- “Wake Up Everybody” by Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes (00:24): Kid and Carlton finish a meeting with Gene. They leave to deliver money to their Greek business contacts. The True Story soundtrack song plays during Billie’s stand-up set.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Welcome to Eden’
True Story Soundtrack: Every Song in Episode 5 “Hard Feelings”
- “Southpaw” by Ivy Sole (00:13): The True Story soundtrack song plays as Gene hangs out with Kid. He goes live on Instagram to document the experience. The track plays in the background throughout the sequence.
- “Life on Mars” by Dexter Wansel (00:13): The music accompanies a cityscape montage. Gene and Kid arrive at The Rittenhouse Hotel. Herschel inquires about the friendship.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Clark’
True Story Soundtrack: Every Song in Episode 6 “The Things You Do for Family”
- “What’s Going On” by Marvin Gaye (00:22): Carlton admits that he saw “Anti-Verse.” Kid plans to help develop his brother’s restaurant after an east coast tour. The True Story soundtrack song fades as Hart’s character finds suspicious text messages on Carlton’s phone.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘The Staircase’
True Story Soundtrack: Every Song in Episode 7 “…Like Cain Did Abel”
- “You’ll Never Find Another Love Like Mine” by Lou Rawls (00:33): Kid finishes up an interview with Don Lemon. He states that he plans to evolve as an individual in order to reach a happy ending. The True Story soundtrack song kicks in during the final shot and scores the end credits.
Q.V. Hough (@QVHough) is Vague Visages’ founding editor.
Categories: 2020s, Crime, Drama, Netflix Originals, Soundtracks of Television, Streaming Originals, Thriller
You must be logged in to post a comment.