The Surviving Summer soundtrack includes music by The Temper Trap, Baker Boy and Billie Eilish. This info article contains spoilers and song details for Josh Mapleston and Joanna Werner’s Netflix series. Visit the Soundtracks of Television section for more Vague Visages music guides.
Surviving Summer stars Sky Katz as Summer Torres, a Brooklyn teenager who temporarily relocates to Victoria, Australia. Kai Lewins co-stars as Ari Gibson, an anxiety-ridden surfer whose family hosts the titular protagonist. The storyline follows Summer as she builds friendships with a group of Shorehaven surfers and learns about their rivalry with the Anchor Cove Boardriders. Composers Pascal Babare (Offspring) and Cornel Wilczek (Clickbait) scored the Netflix series; music supervisor Jess Moore (A Perfect Pairing) selected the featured needle-drops. Here’s every song in Surviving Summer.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Cinema: ‘A Perfect Pairing’
Surviving Summer Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 1 “Exile”
- “Sweet Disposition” by The Temper Trap (00:00): The Surviving Summer soundtrack song plays during the opening sequence. Ari rides a bicycle to the beach. Summer skateboards with her friends in New York City.
- “The Mother We Share” by CHVRCHES (00:05): Summer refuses to live with “virtual strangers.” The music scores a transition sequence. Summer arrives in Australia and meets three members of the Gibson family.
- “Push Up” by Brother Leo (00:11): Summer finishes a conversation with Poppy (Lilliana Bowery) and Bodhi (Savannah La Rain). The track continues during a surfing competition. Summer arrives with her skateboard.
- “Couch Party” by Skegss (00:18): Summer parties with her new friends. She sits on the shoulders of Marlon (Joao Gabriel Marinho). The Surviving Summer soundtrack song continues as Ari sits alone and watches people dance.
- “Cloud 9” by Baker Boy (00:18): The party continues. Ari smiles during a skateboard ramp sequence. He tells Summer that he can’t stay much longer.
- “Midnight City” by M83 (00:22): Summer walks near the beach. Ari prepares for a finals competition with Marlon. The music scores the end credits.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Welcome to Eden’
Surviving Summer Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 2 “Big Plans”
- “Speed of Sound” by Children Collide (00:00): The Surviving Summer soundtrack song accompanies an opening beach scene. Ari and Marlon surf. The music fades as Summer gazes at the beach.
- “In Control” by Baker Boy (00:02): Sheridan (Charli Wookey) drives over Summer’s skateboard. The music scores the title sequence. Finals day at the Shorehaven Pro Juniors competition begins.
- “Out of Age” by Angie (00:06): Summer learns about the Anchor Cove Boardriders. Poppy competes against Lily Tran (Pacha Luque-Light) during a quarterfinal event. A commentator calls the action.
- “We Are the Ones (Own the World)” by Charles William (00:10): Summer jet skis with Marlon. She screams and enjoys the moment. The Surviving Summer soundtrack song continues as the characters swim together.
- “I Learnt 2 Swim” by Wavevom
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Clark’
Surviving Summer Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 3 “Training Day”
- “Spring Has Sprung” by Skegss (00:00): Ari wakes up Summer. The track scores the title sequence. Poppy runs and wears headphones.
- “Favourite People” by Yukon Blonde (00:03): Poppy teaches kids at her family’s surf school. Manu (Chris Alosio) challenges Ari, Bodhi and Marlon to surf five waves in 30 minutes. The music accompanies an extended sequence.
- “Bring Me Home” by G Flip (00:08): Manu finishes an awkward conversation with Poppy. The Surviving Summer soundtrack song scores a transition sequence. Ari jogs by the beach.
- “No More Worries (Oh Yeah)” by Bones and Jones (00:12): Poppy enjoys an afternoon surf session. Summer records her as a favor. Manu arrives and watches his daughter surf.
- “Under the Sun” by Diiv (00:17): Ari hangs out with his father, Thommo (Dustin Clare). The music scores a surf sequence. “Under the Sun” fades as Poppy stretches.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘The 7 Lives of Lea’
Surviving Summer Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 4 “Shame”
- “Get Down” by Jess Kent (00:01): Summer rides in a vehicle with Bodhi and Poppy. They wave at Marlon and his mother, Luciana (Tatiana Hotere). The Surviving Summer soundtrack song continues as Manu sings while driving.
- “Like That” by Fleur East (00:03): Poppy begins a surf competition. A commentator talks about her “impressive score.” Summer struggles with her surf board.
- “Not About You” by Haiku Hands (00:05): Summer prepares to surf. Bodhi wades in the ocean. A heat two competition begins.
- “Start a Fire” by Madison (00:17): The Surviving Summer soundtrack song scores a surf sequence. Poppy gains momentum during a competition. The commentator states that the Anchor Cove surfers look “a bit spooked.”
- “Black Smoke” by Emily Wurramara (00:24): Ari offers a ride to Summer. He ends up hanging out with Marlon. Summer enjoys time with Bodhi and Poppy.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Heartstopper’
Surviving Summer Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 5 “Keep the Sponsors Happy”
- “Alive” by Empire of the Sun (00:00): Bodhi wades in the ocean. She smiles and watches Summer surf. Ari hangs out with Marlon.
- “Scared of Love” by Fallulah (00:04): The Surviving Summer soundtrack song plays during a photoshoot sequence. Bodhi poses with two other models. Summer observes the shoot as Bodhi’s “manager.”
- “Girls Can Do Anything” by Bleeding Knees Club (00:15): Bodhi refuses to compete in a trials competition. The music kicks in as Poppy competes. She wins her heat and celebrates.
- “Space Song” by Beach House (00:18): Bodhi begins a surf competition. She takes the lead as a female commentator calls the action. Poppy looks at herself in a mirror at home.
- “Pasta” by Angie McMahon (00:21): Poppy talks to Ari about their friendship. The Surviving Summer soundtrack song plays as she walks away heartbroken. Poppy listens to music alone with headphones on.
- “Invincible” by Big Wild fead iDA Hawk (00:23): A women’s final competition begins. Bodhi faces off against Poppy. The track scores a slo-mo surf sequence.
- “Love Forever” by The Babe Rainbow
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Russian Doll’
Surviving Summer Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 6 “No Pressure”
- “Out the Window” by Confidence Man (00:02): Bodhi takes a selfie with Trav Morphett (Jackson Gallagher). The Surviving Summer soundtrack song plays as Ari tries to process the moment. A Subtropix competition begins.
- “Paradise” by Total Giovanni (00:13): Ari talks with Bodhi at a party. He says that the “networking thing” is “so weird.” Bodhi puts her head on Ari’s shoulder.
- “Chameleon” by Pnau (00:16): Summer hangs out with Ari. She pulls him to a dance floor. The characters dance with Poppy, Bodhi and Marlon.
- “Pizza Guy” by Touch Sensitive (00:22): Ari ends a conversation with Summer. He heads to the beach. The track scores a surf sequence.
- “Through the Roof” by Hermitude
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Anatomy of a Scandal’
Surviving Summer Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 7 “For Laynah”
- “When the Party’s Over” by Billie Eilish (00:00): The Surviving Summer soundtrack song plays during the opening scene. Poppy stretches at the beach. She grabs her surf board and wades into the ocean.
- “Caminho Do Mar” by Jair Junior (00:09): Luciana waits outside the Anchors Cove Boardriders Club. Bossa nova music plays in her vehicle. Luciana turns down the volume as Marlon enters the car.
- “24k” by Tkay Maidza (00:12): Summer skateboards near the beach. The music cuts as Poppy screams.
- “Life Goes On” by E^ST (00:13): Summer and Poppy scream together. They hug and gaze at the horizon. The Surviving Summer soundtrack song continues during a transition sequence.
- “Let’s Go Surfing” by The Drums (00:17): Poppy tells Bodhi to have fun while surfing. Summer says, “Nice save.” A commentator talks about Thommo’s “ripping” performance.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Dirty Lines’
Surviving Summer Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 8 “Stairway”
- “Strange Dreams” by Nic Cester (00:00): Ari gazes at the horizon as the episode begins. The music scores the title sequence. Ari walks and crosses paths with Griff (Mitchell Hardaker).
- “Move Up” by Tasman Keith (00:01): Ari finishes a conversation with Griff. The Surviving Summer soundtrack song accompanies a transition sequence. Bodhi talks about Stairway traditions.
- “Shake the Fire” by Sampson (00:14): Summer ends a disappointing phone call with her mother, Margot (Kate Beahan). She walks away and locates her bag. Summer insults Bodhi, Poppy and Ari.
- “Highlights” by Shahrae (00:25): Summer talks with Honey (Asmara Feik). Thommo shows up and says that it’s “bedtime.” He tells Ari that his surfing season is over.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Bridgerton’
Surviving Summer Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 9 “Go”
- “Pow Pow” by Coda Conduct (00:00): The Surviving Summer soundtrack song scores the opening sequence at Jarrah Island Holiday Park. Poppy grabs a bag of ice. She enters a pool area and sees Marlon chugging a beer.
- “Groceries” by Mallrat (00:04): Ari looks out his window. He grabs a bag and enters Summer’s room as she sleeps. Ari takes off with his surf board.
- “Front Row Hustle” by DZ Deathrays, Briggs, Jesswar & Trials (00:14): The track plays during a road trip sequence. Poppy and Manu wait for Ari during a transition scene. Judge Roberts (Timothy Bell) says that Shorehaven surfers should “get it together” because they are frequently late.
- “High” by Peking Duck feat. Nicole Millar (00:20): Ari competes against Marlon and Tommy Ahmed (Marcel Laidlaw). The commentator states that “failure here is not an option.” Ari wins the competition.
- “Honesty” by Femme Phenomenal
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Human Resources’
Surviving Summer Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 10 “Stay”
- “RU4 Me?” by Middle Kids (00:00): Summer walks with Margot. She turns around and gazes at Ari. The Surviving Summer soundtrack song continues as Abbie (Adrienne Pickering) speaks with her son.
- “Great Summer” by Vance Joy (00:04): The track scores a surf competition montage. Bodhi wades in the ocean. She earns an 8.1 score and takes the lead.
- “Feels Right” by Biig Piig (00:12): Margot reads a note from Summer. The music scores a transition sequence. Summer surfs and waves to her mother.
- “You Da Boss” by Soulplusmind & Janae E (00:16): Bodhi enters the ocean with fellow competitors. He father says, “Surf it up!” Ari talks with Marlon about Summer being absent.
- “Spend Your Life” by ELKI (00:23): Summer kisses Ari at an airport. She walks away and boards a plane. The Surviving Summer soundtrack song scores the season’s final moments and end credits.
Q.V. Hough (@QVHough) is Vague Visages’ founding editor.