The Lost Daughter soundtrack includes music by Monika, Talking Heads and Bon Jovi. This info article contains spoilers for Maggie Gyllenhaal’s 2021 Netflix movie. Check out Vague Visages’ Soundtracks of Cinema section for more music guides.
Set in Greece, The Lost Daughter stars Olivia Colman as a professor named Leda Caruso. Irish actress Jessie Buckley co-stars as a younger version of the protagonist, a woman who leaves her family to pursue a romantic fling with an admiring intellectual. Composer Dickon Hinchliffe (Winter’s Bone) scored the 121-minute drama, which features numerous tracks from the Greek musician Monika Christodoulou. Here’s every song in The Lost Daughter, an adaptation of Elena Ferrante’s 2008 novel of the same name.
The Lost Daughter Soundtrack: Every Song in the 2021 Netflix Movie
- “Den Thelo Tipota” by Monika (00:08:00): Leda writes in a journal and reads Dante Alighieri’s poem “Paradiso” at the beach. She observes Nina (Dakota Johnson) with her child. The Lost Daughter soundtrack song continues as Leda writes down Nina’s name.
- “Flying Low” by Daniel May and Marc Ferrari (00:13:00): Leda receives a phone call from Martha (Isabelle Della-Porta). The music is used as a ringtone.
- “Ti Ein Afto Pou To Lene Agapi” by Tonis Maroudas and Sophia Loren (00:15:00): Leda prepares to fall asleep. The music continues during a transitional swimming sequence. Leda observes a boat full of people.
- “Kapetanios” by Monika (00:18:00): A couple asks Leda to move from her spot at the beach. Colman’s character politely declines. Vassili (Panos Koronis) pushes back and asks for a favor.
- “Stala” by Monika (00:19:00): Leda speaks with Callie (Dagmara Domińczyk) at the beach. The characters discuss their familial backgrounds. The Lost Daughter soundtrack song plays in the background as Leda states that children are “a crushing responsibility.” The music plays again at 01:40:00 and 01:58:00 during the end credits.
- “Piano Sonata No. 21 in B Flat Major, D. 960_ IV. Allegro Ma Non Troppo” by Sadie Brightman (00:46:00): Young Leda speaks with Joe (Jack Farthing). She worries about passing out while looking after the children.
- “Hello Bluebird” by Judy Garland (00:53:00): Leda calls for Nina at the beach. Joe describes Judy Garland as a “fucking genius” in a transitional flashback sequence. Young Leda searches for Dr. Williams’ coffee.
- “People Like Us” by Talking Heads (01:06:00): The Lost Daughter soundtrack song plays during a road trip sequence. Leda sings along while driving.
- “I Told Jesus” by Roberta Flack (01:34:00): Young Leda asks her daughters for a hug. She gives them dresses as Joe watches. Leda speaks with her husband.
- “Alba’s Shake” by Aris Karantanis (01:41:00): Leda watches people dance at a party. Lyle (Ed Harris) makes his way over and invites the tourist to boogie.
- “Livin’ on a Prayer” by Bon Jovi (01:42:00): Leda cheers when she hears the 80s classic. Lyle dances along and stops upon spotting Toni (Oliver Jackson-Cohen).
- “Ypothetika” by Monika (01:45:00): The Lost Daughter soundtrack song scores a beach sequence. Leda observes Nina with her child. The two adult women share a knowing glance.
The Lost Daughter soundtrack also includes:
- “Casual Yet Serious” by Michael Garcia and Sebastian Barnaby Robertson
- “Diaspora” by Marc Ferrari and Michael McGregor
- “Honoloulou” by Monika
- “Drum & Bass” by Monika
- “Aima Mou — Paschalis Terzis” by Monika
- “Den Tha Xanertheis” by Monika
- “Pixie Gondola” by Denis Levaillant
- “Earthlight” by Denis Levaillant
- “Aima Mou — Paschalis Terzis V2” by Paschalis Terzis
Q.V. Hough (@QVHough) is Vague Visages’ founding editor.