The Big Leap soundtrack includes music by Icona Pop, Jamiroquai and Katy Perry. This info article contains spoilers and song details for Liz Heldens’ Fox series. Visit the Soundtracks of Television section for more Vague Visages streaming guides.
Directed by Jason Winer, The Big Leap takes place in Detroit, Michigan. Various dancers arrive in the Motor City to audition for a reality TV show, hoping to turn around their lives by receiving a big break in the entertainment industry. The Fox series features an ensemble cast; however, most of the drama revolves around an NYU grad named Gabby Lewis (Simone Recasner), a woman who reunites with her high school boyfriend seven years after a breakup. Here’s every featured song in The Big Leap.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘The Longest Night’
The Big Leap Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 1 “Pilot”
- “All I Do Is Win” by DJ Khaled feat. T-Pain, Ludacris, Snoop Dogg and Rick Ross (00:00): The Big Leap season 1 begins with flashback scene. At the Michigan State Dance Championship, Gabby competes for Dolores Huerta High School. The musical sequence establishes the backstory for Recasner’s character, who is positioned as the “heart and soul” of the team. She performs the routine with her boyfriend Justine (Raymond Cham Jr.), one of the main protagonists of the series.
- “I Love It” by Icona Pop (00:01): Simone hosts a house party. The Big Leap soundtrack song briefly plays during an interior sequence. Simone discusses losing her virginity to Justin, who is revealed to be gay moments later.
- “Dancing in the Moonlight” by King Harvest (00:05): Mike Devries (Jon Rudnitsky) leads a spin class in Detroit. The song plays in the background as the character discusses his personal life. Seconds later, the music fades during a transitional sequence in which Mike reveals that he was fired.
- “Keep on Loving You” by REO Speedwagon (00:10): Simone arrives at a restaurant-bowling alley. She reunites with Justin after seven years. The characters discuss an audition for a dance-themed reality show.
- “Beggin'” by Madcon (00:12): Justin states that he’s not ready for a “creative re-birth.” Simone attempts to change his mind as the song plays. The Big Leap soundtrack song continues as characters dance it out across various lanes at Automo Bowl.
- “Virtual Insanity” by Jamiroquai (00:16): Mikey auditions for “The Big Leap.” He wears a backwards baseball cap and white t-shirt. The judges appreciate Mike’s relatability factor.
- “Steal Away” by Robbie Dupree (00:26): Gabby meets with her dance partner, NFL star Reggie Sadler (Ser’Darius Blain). The track plays as the characters discuss “gender terrorism.” Reggie states that he feels awkward.
- “I Want You Back” by The Jackson 5 (00:40): Mikey’s buddy questions his motivations for joining “The Big Leap.” In a transitional scene, Nick asks the final couples to take their spots. The song scores a performance sequence.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Black Bird’
The Big Leap Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 2 “Classic Tragic Love Triangle”
- “Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)” by C+C Music Factory (00:05): Gabby decides to pursue her professional goals. Justin arrives and plays the track in his vehicle. The Big Leap soundtrack song scores the title sequence and fades as the Lovewell twins rehearse.
- “Tender Love” by The Force MDs (00:22): Reggie tells Gabby that he’s not a douchebag. He then asks his dancing partner to join him for dinner. The song continues as Gabby dances in the street.
- “Swish Swish” by Katy Perry feat. Nicki Minaj (00:35): Simon (Adam Kaplan) performs in front of several street basketball players. Justin shows off with a few dance tricks. High fives are handed out as the two reality TV competitors enjoy themselves.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘How to Screw It All Up’
The Big Leap Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 3 “The White Swan Lives!”
- “Nails, Hair, Hips, Heels” by Todrick Hall (00:14): The Big Leap team arrives in Chicago. “Nails, Hair, Hips, Heels” plays during a Reservoir Dogs-style slo-mo shot. The Big Leap soundtrack song fades as Paula and Mike begin a conversation.
- “Tonight Tonight” by Passion Pit (00:24): Reggie and Gabby enjoy themselves at a dentist convention. Passion Pit’s cover of The Smashing Pumpkins’ classic scores a dancing-themed montage.
- “4 My People” by Missy Elliott feat. Eve (00:36): Gabby comforts Justin after a long day. The Big Leap soundtrack song amplifies when she informs him about a hotel room party. A tracking shot captures all the fun in various rooms.
- “Seize the Power” by Yonaka (00:42): Brittney confronts Gabby about the White Swan role. The former drives away outside Stage 16 as the episode ends.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘The Terminal List’
The Big Leap Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 4 “Nothing but Money Shots”
- “Break Free” by Ariana Grande feat. Zedd (00:00): Wayne spots a dancer named Neil in 2014 London. The Big Leap soundtrack song scores the moment when the characters first make eye contact. The episode explores the toxic nature of Wayne and Neil’s relationship, and the song also plays during the final sequence.
- “Tiny Dancer” by Lexxi Saal (00:01): “The Big Leap” trailer debuts online. A cover of Elton John’s classic song plays during the clip. All the featured drama leads to new conflict amongst contestants.
- “Up” by Cardi B (00:06): Monica’s dialogue aligns with the song’s lyrics. Justin dances during a photoshoot. The music fades as various characters interact.
- “Surprise Yourself” by Jack Garratt (00:19): Justin and Monica rehearse together. The characters enjoy themselves in the moment and have strong chemistry. The Big Leap soundtrack song drops suddenly when Monica suffers a devastating injury.
- “Or Be Left Alone” by Gary Router, Nuala Bennett-Wilford, Wade Snowman (00:22): Gabby and Reggie speak at a night club. They discuss a professional player for the Detroit Tigers — a mutual acquaintance. The music continues as Gabby and Reggie decide to leave together.
- “Tic Toc” by Al-Doms (00:26): Julia arrives at a strip club. She speaks with a dancer and asks about her husband’s whereabouts. The track cuts when the characters bond while discussing dancing techniques.
- “Just Like Heaven” by The Cure (00:36): The Big Leap soundtrack music scores an outdoors dance sequence. Mike leaves his apartment and vibes out while strolling down a sidewalk. He surprises a female police officer and upsets an older man before boarding a garbage truck.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘The Bear’
The Big Leap Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 5 “We Were Just Babies”
- “All I Do Is Win” by DJ Khaled (00:07): The Big Leap soundtrack song plays during a rehearsal sequence. Justin jokes about the music bringing back sense memories. Reggie discusses his Brittney break-up with Gabby.
- “Tuesday” by DUCKWRTH (00:12): Nick tells Jessica that he needs an empty classroom. Reggie strolls down a high school hallway. The music drops when a TV director stops the b-roll scene.
- “Run (I’m a Natural Disaster)” by Gnarls Barkley (00:22): Two dancers boogie in a high school library. Ally complains while Paula admires the techniques. The music fades as Perabo’s character escapes.
- “I Really Like You” by Carly Rae Jepsen (00:26): Reggie and Simon help with a Homecoming invitation. The Big Leap soundtrack song scores an extended performance sequence.
- “Youth” by Daughter (00:29): “The Big Leap” contestants watch a school dance performance. Monica praises Gabby for her “exquisite” choreography. The music fades during a transition scene featuring Julia.
- “Thirteen” by Big Star (00:42): Julia breaks down and gets consoled by her daughters. Gabby tells her son Sammy about his father. The music plays over the final sequence.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘The Old Man’
The Big Leap Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 6 “I Should Have Gone to Motown”
- “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell (00:00): In a flashback scene, Brittney and Simon visit The Dairy Duke. Their mother, Tonya, trolls them about their dancing skills. The Big Leap soundtrack song continues in the present as Gabby grooves on a sidewalk; it also plays throughout the episode, most notably during the final sequence.
- “We’re All In This Together” by High School Music Cast (00:017): Gabby has dinner with Brittney. They reflect about the 2006 movie High School Musical. The characters sing the song together.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘You Don’t Know Me’
The Big Leap Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 7 “Revenge Plot”
- “Stay High” by Brittany Howard (00:01): The Big Leap soundtrack song plays after an opening flashback sequence. Reggie and Gabby have a sexual encounter.
- “Alone” by Extreme Music (00:05): Paula visits a doctor. She worries about her cancer returning. The lyric “Alone” underlines her state of mind.
- “I Say a Little Prayer” by Aretha Franklin (00:21): Julia wants to know what’s bothering Paula. She agrees to dance to her favorite song at a bar. The music fades as Paula reveals that her cancer may be back.
- “HandClap” by Fitz and the Tantrums (00:21): A dance contest begins. Mike delivers a robot performance. Gabby impresses all with her dance moves.
- “100% Pure Love” by Crystal Waters (00:22): Miriam boogies on stage. She uses a couple shrimp props. Gabby panics while Nick discusses the importance of cheating.
- “Blitz” by Moneybag Yo feat. Tripstar (00:23): Reggie trains outdoors. The Big Leap soundtrack song drops after 20 seconds.
- “Move Bitch” by Ludacris feat. Mystikal and I-20 (00:32): Brittney’s team performs to their selected song during a dance battle. Justin breakdances and squares off against Simon. Monica reaches an epiphany.
- “Just Like Heaven” by Christian Lee Hutson feat. Shamir (00:41): Mike brings balloons to Paula at the hospital. He admits his true feelings as the cover of The Cure classic scores the final sequence.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘The Lincoln Lawyer’
The Big Leap Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 8 “Big Dumb Life”
- “Apache” by Incredible Bongo Band (00:00): The Big Leap soundtrack song scores the opening sequence. Street dancers entertain a crowd in 2006 Detroit. Justin, “The Boy Wonder,” emerges from a box.
- “Everything” by Mary J. Blige (00:01): Young Justin plays the song at home. He dances with his mother in the kitchen. The song can be heard again at 00:26 as Justin talks with his father in the present.
- “Dance of the Swans” by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky (00:05): Mike rehearses with Paula. Monica expresses her approval.
- “One More Time” by Daft Punk (00:20): The Big Leap soundtrack song plays during a gas station sequence. Gabby starts a dance party. Simon talks on the phone with Justin.
- “That Teenage Feeling” by Neko Case (00:22): Julia and Linus dance together on the lot. They discuss a possible date. Julia declines the Linus’ offer.
- “The Show Goes On” by Lupe Fiasco (00:41): Monica hires people to assist Justin’s father. The music kicks in during a street sequence. Justin dances and celebrates as the episode ends.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘First Kill’
The Big Leap Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 9 “What Prevents Us?”
- “What I Got, I Got” by Maurice Rice, Herschey Barr (00:15): Simon speaks with Justin at Mike’s bachelor party. They discuss Monica and Annie’s relationship. Simon fails to congratulate Justin about a big opportunity.
- “I’m Glad I Knew You” by P-Nut Butter (00:17): Brittney takes a selfie with Monica. A male dancer dressed as a plumber arrives at Paula’s bachelorette party.
- “Marry You” by Bruno Mars (00:26): The Big Leap soundtrack song scores a pre-wedding montage sequence. Mike and his buddies hang out. Paula bonds with her bridesmaids.
- “Stand By Me” by Ben E. King (00:27): Nick takes a deep breath as the wedding ceremony begins. An instrumental version of the track is performed. The song plays again at 00:41 during a private moment between Paula and her new husband, Mike.
- “Cut to the Feeling” by Carly Rae Jensen (00:31): Mike and Paula get married. They walk from the alter during a slo-mo shot.
- “I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me)” by Whitney Houston (00:33): Gabby, Monica and Julia kick off a dance party. Justin boogies with Simon. Mike and Paula join the group.
- “It’s a Fact” by Tension (00:35): Gabby and Paula hug. The music cuts when a producer requests an OTF.
- “Iz Ya Funkin’ Tonight” by Bright Moments (00:35): The Big Leap soundtrack song plays as Kevin arrives at the wedding reception. Julia confronts her estranged husband.
- “I Wanna Love You (Hey Boy)” by Gwynn Michaels (00:37): Simon chats with Justin. They resolve their issues from earlier in the night. Monica interrupts a kiss and delivers good news for Justin.
- “At Last” by Etta James (00:38): Monica asks Nick to dance. They share an extended moment together while discussing the evening. Nick worries about Paula’s health.
- “Young Girl” by Frank Lynch (00:40): Reggie approaches Gabby. They discuss their relationship. Gabby walks away with her son as The Big Leap soundtrack music continues.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘God’s Favorite Idiot’
The Big Leap Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 10 “Swan Song”
- “First Day of My Life” by Bright Eyes (00:00): The Big Leap soundtrack song scores the opening sequence. Mike and Paula enjoy time together after getting married. The music fades as Perabo’s character suffers an embolism that causes her death.
- “Swan Lake Theme” by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky (00:15): Gabby choreographs a dance sequence for the finale. She has Charlie perform “something contemporary.” Justin joins in moments later.
- “Tonight Tonight” by MUNYA (00:35): Justin and Simon dance in a bedroom. They discuss their relationship. Simon supports Justin’s upcoming trip to Paris.
- “The Lucky One” by Simon Steadman & Charlton Pettus (00:37): Mike sits alone by himself. He receives another video message from his late wife, Paula. The music plays as Mike realizes that he needs to compete in the finale.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Intimacy’
The Big Leap Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 11 “We Make Our Own Light”
- “I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me)” by Whitney Houston (00:08): Brittney gets booed during a performance. Gabby and Justin perform together. The Big Leap soundtrack song continues as the crowd cheers, and it also plays at the end of the episode at 00:39.
- “No Scrubs” by TLC (00:15): Julia performs alongside Raven. Kevin attacks Linus backstage. Justin tap dances while Simon thinks about the future.
- “Tonight, Tonight” by The Smashing Pumpkins (00:19): Justin and Simon dance together. Interview clips complement the performance. The characters exit as Gabby takes the stage.
- “Just Like Heaven” by The Cure (00:27): Mike begins his performance. Video clips of him and Paula play on a big screen. The Big Leap soundtrack song continues as young dancers assist Mike on stage.
Q.V. Hough (@QVHough) is Vague Visages’ founding editor.
Categories: 2020s, Comedy, Drama, Soundtracks of Television