The Big Leap soundtrack includes music by Icona Pop, Jamiroquai and Katy Perry. This info article contains spoilers for Liz Heldens’ Fox series. Visit the Soundtracks of Television section for more Vague Visages streaming guides.
Directed by Jason Winer, The Big Leap takes place in Detroit, Michigan. Various dancers arrive in the Motor City to audition for a reality TV show, hoping to turn around their lives by receiving a big break in the entertainment industry. The Fox series features an ensemble cast; however, most of the drama revolves around an NYU grad named Gabby Lewis (Simone Recasner), a woman who reunites with her high school boyfriend seven years after a breakup. Here’s every featured song in The Big Leap.
The Big Leap Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 1 “Pilot”
- “All I Do Is Win” by DJ Khaled feat. T-Pain, Ludacris, Snoop Dogg and Rick Ross (00:00): The Big Leap season 1 begins with flashback scene. At the Michigan State Dance Championship, Gabby competes for Dolores Huerta High School. The musical sequence establishes the backstory for Recasner’s character, who is positioned as the “heart and soul” of the team. She performs the routine with her boyfriend Justine (Raymond Cham Jr.), one of the main protagonists of the series.
- “I Love It” by Icona Pop (00:01): Simone hosts a house party. The Big Leap soundtrack song briefly plays during an interior sequence. Simone discusses losing her virginity to Justin, who is revealed to be gay moments later.
- “Dancing in the Moonlight” by King Harvest (00:05): Mike Devries (Jon Rudnitsky) leads a spin class in Detroit. The song plays in the background as the character discusses his personal life. Seconds later, the music fades during a transitional sequence in which Mike reveals that he was fired.
- “Keep on Loving You” by REO Speedwagon (00:10): Simone arrives at a restaurant-bowling alley. She reunites with Justin after seven years. The characters discuss an audition for a dance-themed reality show.
- “Beggin'” by Madcon (00:12): Justin states that he’s not ready for a “creative re-birth.” Simone attempts to change his mind as the song plays. The characters dance it out across various lanes at Automo Bowl.
- “Virtual Insanity” by Jamiroquai (00:16): Mikey auditions for “The Big Leap.” He wears a backwards baseball cap and white t-shirt. The judges appreciate Mike’s relatability factor.
- “Steal Away” by Robbie Dupree (00:26): Gabby meets with her dance partner, NFL star Reggie Sadler (Ser’Darius Blain). The Big Leap soundtrack song plays as the characters discuss “gender terrorism.” Reggie states that he feels awkward.
- “I Want You Back” by The Jackson 5 (00:40): Mikey’s buddy questions his motivations for joining “The Big Leap.” In a transitional scene, Nick asks the final couples to take their spots. The song scores a performance sequence.
The Big Leap Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 2 “Classic Tragic Love Triangle”
- “Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)” by C+C Music Factory (00:05): Gabby decides to pursue her professional goals. Justin arrives and plays the track in his vehicle. The Big Leap soundtrack song scores the title sequence and fades as the Lovewell twins rehearse.
- “Tender Love” by The Force MDs (00:22): Reggie tells Gabby that he’s not a douchebag. He then asks his dancing partner to join him for dinner. The song continues as Gabby dances in the street.
- “Swish Swish” by Katy Perry feat. Nicki Minaj (00:35): Simon (Adam Kaplan) performs in front of several street basketball players. Justin shows off with a few dance tricks. High fives are handed out as the two reality TV competitors enjoy themselves.
The Big Leap Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 3 “The White Swan Lives!”
- “Nails, Hair, Hips, Heels” by Todrick Hall (00:14): The Big Leap team arrives in Chicago. “Nails, Hair, Hips, Heels” plays during a Reservoir Dogs-style slo-mo shot. The Big Leap soundtrack song fades as Paula and Mike begin a conversation.
- “Tonight Tonight” by Passion Pit (00:24): Reggie and Gabby enjoy themselves at a dentist convention. Passion Pit’s cover of The Smashing Pumpkins’ classic scores a dancing-themed montage.
- “4 My People” by Missy Elliott feat. Eve (00:36): Gabby comforts Justin after a long day. The Big Leap soundtrack song amplifies when she informs him about a hotel room party. A tracking shot captures all the fun in various rooms.
- “Seize the Power” by Yonaka (00:42): Brittney confronts Gabby about the White Swan role. The former drives away outside Stage 16 as the episode ends.
The Big Leap Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 4 “Nothing but Money Shots”
- “Break Free” by Ariana Grande feat. Zedd (00:00): Wayne spots a dancer named Neil in 2014 London. The Big Leap soundtrack song scores the moment when the characters first make eye contact. The episode explores the toxic nature of Wayne and Neil’s relationship, and the song also plays during the final sequence.
- “Tiny Dancer” by Lexxi Saal (00:01): “The Big Leap” trailer debuts online. A cover of Elton John’s classic song plays during the clip. All the featured drama leads to new conflict amongst contestants.
- “Up” by Cardi B (00:06): Monica’s dialogue aligns with the song’s lyrics. Justin dances during a photoshoot. The music fades as various characters interact.
- “Surprise Yourself” by Jack Garratt (00:19): Justin and Monica rehearse together. The characters enjoy themselves in the moment and have strong chemistry. The Big Leap soundtrack song drops suddenly when Monica suffers a devastating injury.
- “Or Be Left Alone” by Gary Router, Nuala Bennett-Wilford, Wade Snowman (00:22): Gabby and Reggie speak at a night club. They discuss a professional player for the Detroit Tigers — a mutual acquaintance. The music continues as Gabby and Reggie decide to leave together.
- “Tic Toc” by Al-Doms (00:26): Julia arrives at a strip club. She speaks with a dancer and asks about her husband’s whereabouts. The track cuts when the characters bond while discussing dancing techniques.
- “Just Like Heaven” by The Cure (00:36): The Big Leap soundtrack music scores an outdoors dance sequence. Mike leaves his apartment and vibes out while strolling down a sidewalk. He surprises a female police officer and upsets an older man before boarding a garbage truck.
The Big Leap Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 5 “We Were Just Babies”
- “All I Do Is Win” by DJ Khaled (00:07): The Big Leap soundtrack song plays during a rehearsal sequence. Justin jokes about the music bringing back sense memories. Reggie discusses his Brittney break-up with Gabby.
- “Tuesday” by DUCKWRTH (00:12): Nick tells Jessica that he needs an empty classroom. Reggie strolls down a high school hallway. The music drops when a TV director stops the b-roll scene.
- “Run (I’m a Natural Disaster)” by Gnarls Barkley (00:22): Two dancers boogie in a high school library. Ally complains while Paula admires the techniques. The music fades as Perabo’s character escapes.
- “I Really Like You” by Carly Rae Jepsen (00:26): Reggie and Simon help with a Homecoming invitation. The Big Leap soundtrack music scores an extended performance sequence.
- “Youth” by Daughter (00:29): “The Big Leap” contestants watch a school dance performance. Monica praises Gabby for her “exquisite” choreography. The music fades during a transition scene featuring Julia.
- “Thirteen” by Big Star (00:42): Julia breaks down and gets consoled by her daughters. Gabby tells her son Sammy about his father. The music plays over the final sequence.
The Big Leap airs weekly on Fox (and Hulu) throughout the fall 2021. New episodes premiere every Monday. This article about The Big Leap soundtrack will be updated as the series progresses.
Q.V. Hough (@QVHough) is Vague Visages’ founding editor.