The Pachinko soundtrack includes music by Talking Heads, BaBe and Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark. This info article contains spoilers and song details for Soo Hugh’s Apple TV+ series. Visit the Soundtracks of Television section for more Vague Visages music guides.
Pachinko stars Youn Yuh-jung as Sunja, the matriarch of a Korean family. Kim Min-ha co-stars as the protagonist during her teenage years while living as an immigrant in Osaka. The storyline follows several timelines and explores Sunja’s legacy and experiences with racism. Composer Nico Muhly (The Reader) scored the Apple TV+ series; music supervisor Michael Hill (Lady Bird) handled the featured needle-drops, which includes The Grass Roots’ “Let’s Live for Today” as the theme song. Here’s every track in Pachinko, an adaptation of Min Jin Lee’s 2017 novel.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Station Eleven’
Pachinko Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 1 “Chapter One”
- “Young Sunja” by Nico Muhly (00:09:00): Young Sunja (Yu-na) roams a field. The Pachinko soundtrack song plays as the girl inspects a bug with her father.
- “Road to Nowhere by Talking Heads (00:12:00): Solomon (Jin Ha) meets with his father, Mozasu (Soji Arai) in the 1989 timeline. They hug at a pachinko parlor as the music plays in the building. Mozasu inquires about life in Tokyo.
- “Abalone Dive” by Nico Muhly (00:24:00): Young Sunja swims in a fishing village. Her father watches from the shore. Sunja reemerges from her diving expedition.
- “Enova Yanova” by TBA (00:42:00): Adult Sunja washes her dishes. She stops upon hearing a piano. Sunja recalls witnessing a man singing the Pachinko soundtrack song while being beaten.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Slow Horses’
Pachinko Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 2 “Chapter Two”
- “I Don’t Know!” by BaBe (00:06:00): The Pachinko soundtrack song scores a scene in 1989 Tokyo. “I Don’t Know!” fades as a DJ speaks at a wedding reception.
- “The Future, The Past, and Forever After” by Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark (00:23:00): Mozasu speaks with a technician. Various people enter the New Grand Vegas. Mozasu looks over financial documents.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Cinema: ‘The Bubble’
Pachinko Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 3 “Chapter Three”
- No Featured Songs
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Cinema: ‘Encanto’
Pachinko Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 4 “Chapter Four”
- “The Wedding” by Nico Muhly (00:10): Teenage Sunja marries Baek Isak. Her mother serves as a witness. The Pachinko soundtrack song plays as a priest prays for the couple.
- “TBA” by TBA (00:48): An orchestral piece scores a dinner sequence. Young Ms. Han sits next to an older gentleman.
- “TBA” by TBA (00:49): Young Ms. Han performs an Italian aria on stage.
- “TBA” by TBA (00:53): Young Ms. Han sings in Korean on stage.
- “Inbetween Days” by The Cure (00:59): A busker singer performs. Solomon dances in the rain. Naomi watches and smiles as the Pachinko soundtrack song continues.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Tokyo Vice’
Pachinko Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 5 “Chapter Five”
- “Train” by Nico Muhly (00:02): Sunja wakes up on a train. Isak announces that they have arrived in Osaka. The Pachinko soundtrack song continues as Japanese men stare at Sunja.
- “左胸の星座” by 林 哲司 (00:12): The music scores a Tokyo cityscape scene. Solomon walks through a restaurant. He meets with a colleague and his partner.
- “Watashi No Sei” by Andrea Monorchio & Gun Kawamura (00:45): Solomon visits the home of Haruki. The music fades as he stares in silence. Solomon meets Haruki’s family members.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Dirty Lines’
Pachinko Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 6 “Chapter Six”
- “Boy Boy” by OXZ (00:02): The Pachinko soundtrack song scores the opening sequence. Teenage Solomon (Kyung Ho Yoon) hangs out with his friends in Osaka 1975. He makes eye contact with Hana (Yebin Jung).
- “夜間飛行” by Microstar (00:03): Teenage Solomon and Hana visit a store. They talk about hard rice. Hana says that wrapped food is meant to be touched.
- “Gavotte in G” by Shep Fields and His Rippling Rhythm Orchestra (00:52): The Pachinko soundtrack song plays from a radio. Hansu speaks with Chiyo in Japanese. He announces that he has a son.
- “太陽がこわいの” by 響かおる (00:54): Chiyo wonders what Hansu’s son will think of him. The music scores the end credits.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Heartstopper’
Pachinko Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 7 “Chapter Seven”
- “My Yokohama Girl” by TBA (00:06): Young Hansu tutors Andrew Holmes (Jimmy Bennett). The Pachinko soundtrack song plays from within the family home. Hansu states that Jimmy must apply himself if he wants to succeed in life.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘They Call Me Magic’
Pachinko Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 8 “Chapter Eight”
- “Let’s Live for Today” by LEENALCHI (00:06): Sunja and Isak lead a “choose your fate” ceremony for Mozasu. A “modern version” of the theme song scores the title sequence.
- “In the Aeroplane Over the Sea” by Dan Mangan (00:38): The Pachinko soundtrack song scores an extended sequence. Young Noa chases after his detained father. Solomon gives Hana a Hawaiian experience just moments before her death. Adult Sunja thinks about the past.
Q.V. Hough (@QVHough) is Vague Visages’ founding editor.