Apple’s They Call Me Magic soundtrack includes music by Earth, Wind and Fire, Chic and Parliament. This info article contains song details for Rick Famuyiwa’s Apple TV+ docuseries. Visit the Soundtracks of Television section for more Vague Visages music guides.
They Call Me Magic chronicles the life of Earvin “Magic” Johnson. The NBA superstar reflects about the ups and downs of his basketball career, and how he evolved into a successful businessman after being infected with the HIV virus. Music supervisor Barry Cole (The Chi) assembled the featured needle-drops for the four-part docuseries. Here’s every song in They Call Me Magic.
They Call Me Magic Soundtrack: Every Song in Episode 1 “JuneBug”
- “Getaway” by Earth, Wind and Fire (00:01): The They Call Me Magic soundtrack song plays during a celebrity montage. Earvin embraces his pop culture persona. Michael Jordan says the game changed when Magic Johnson entered the NBA.
- “Good Times” by Chic (00:10): Earvin recalls arriving in 1979 Los Angeles. Christine Johnson remembers being worried about her son. Snoop Dogg shows off his Lakers tattoo and explains how he first heard about Magic.
- “Flashlight” by Parliament (00:12): Kareem Abdul-Jabbar remembers Magic arriving at The Forum with a boombox. Earvin specifies the music that he listened to in the late 70s. Kareem states that Magic’s favorite band was Parliament-Funkadelic.
- “In the Peak Bar” by Oakwood Station (00:13): Magic jokes about Kareem’s music preferences in 1979. The jazz tune plays briefly.
- “Speedo” by The Cadillacs (00:27): The They Call Me Magic soundtrack song scores a 1976 sequence. Earvin gains the media’s attention while playing for Everett High School. He recalls playing with one shoe against a trash talker.
- “Potential” by The Jimmy Castor Bunch (00:31): Greg Kelser talks about playing with Magic at Michigan State University. He states that “Potential” became the team’s rally song. Earvin remembers working as a DJ at local clubs.
- “Ring My Bell” by Anita Ward (00:34): Earvin reflects about a night spot called Dooley’s. He describes the moment when he first saw his future wife, Cookie. Earvin says, “‘Jamaica Funk’ and ‘Ring My Bell’ just had hit!”
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Slow Horses’
They Call Me Magic Soundtrack: Every Song in Episode 2 “Buck”
- “Make That Move” by Shalamar (00:05): Earvin appears on a television show during his rookie season. The They Call Me Magic soundtrack song accomanies a media montage. Pat Riley describes a culture change in the Lakers organization.
- “Let’s Groove” by Earth, Wind and Fire (00:40): The Lakers win the 1985 NBA championship. Michael Cooper speaks about attending Earvin’s birthday party in Lansing, Michigan. Luther Vandross sings at the event.
- “Everybody Have Fun Tonight” by Wang Chung (00:46): Cookie breaks up with Earvin. The They Call Me Magic soundtrack song plays during a Johnny Carson segment. Earvin discusses his personal life on television.
- “Reunited” by Peaches & Herb (00:52): Cookie and Earvin get back together. Interviewees reflect about the couple’s “make-out song.” Cookie remembers how Earvin rented a restaurant and proposed.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Severance’
They Call Me Magic Soundtrack: Every Song in Episode 3 “Earvin”
- No Featured Songs
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Pachinko’
They Call Me Magic Soundtrack: Every Song in Episode 4 “Magic”
- No Featured Songs
Q.V. Hough (@QVHough) is Vague Visages’ founding editor.