The Encounter soundtrack includes music by Slayer, Selena Gomez and Phil Collins. This info article contains spoilers and song details for Michael Pearce’s 2021 Amazon movie. Check out Vague Visages’ Soundtracks of Cinema section for more music guides.
Encounter stars Riz Ahmed as Malik Khan, a paranoid U.S. Marine who worries about alien parasites infecting humanity. Octavia Spencer co-stars as Hattie, a parole officer who tries to determine if Malik intends to harm his two sons after kidnapping them. The Amazon thriller features a score by composer Jed Kurzel (The Nightingale); music supervisor Phil Canning (Four Lions) selected the 13 featured needle drop tracks. Here’s every song in Encounter.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Cinema: ‘All the Old Knives’
Encounter Soundtrack: Every Song in the 2021 Amazon Movie
- “Waitin’ Around to Die” by Townes Van Zandt (00:16:00): The Encounter soundtrack song plays during a stylized car wash sequence. Malik spots a bug inside a gas station. The music fades as Ahmed’s character drives and speaks with his two sons, Jay (Lucian-River Chauhan) and Bobby (Aditya Geddada).
- “Someday (You’ll Want Me to Want You)” by Ricky Nelson (00:29:00): Malik visits a diner with his kids. He says that he won’t let anything bad happen to Bobby (Aditya Geddada). They discuss wild stories and their group known as “The Musketeers.”
- “Hip Hop Hooray” by Naughty by Nature (00:34:00): The Encounter soundtrack song scores a road trip scene. Malik and Bobby have a thumb war. Jay asks why his brother gets to sit in the passenger seat.
- “Raining Blood” by Slayer (00:36:00): Malik changes the radio station. He is excited to hear Slayer. Bobby says the music is “dumb.”
- “Lose You to Love Me” by Selena Gomez (00:36:00): The song plays on the radio during a transitional sequence. Malik asks to change the station. Jay says the music is “the best stuff.”
- “Hall of Mirrors” by Jayham (00:50:00): The Encounter soundtrack song plays during a bowling alley sequence. Hattie chats with Ernie (Stefan Sims) about Malik. The music fades during the conversation.
- “Simple Man” by Lynyrd Skynyrd (00:54:00): Hattie enters a bar and meets Raul (Antonio Jaramillo). They discuss Malik’s background. The southern rock classic scores the scene.
- “Against All Odds (Take a Look at Me Now)” by Phil Collins (01:02:00): Malik flees from an attacker. The song plays from a stereo after a gun shot. Malik hits the man with a shovel; the music plays again at 01:09:00.
- “Traitors Gate” by Judas Priest (01:12:00): Jay hits the road with Bobby. The Encounter soundtrack song ramps up during an interior shot. “Traitors Gate” fades when the characters arrive at a store.
- “Here with Me” by Marshmellow feat. Chvrches (01:29:00): Malik brings two buffalo burgers to his sons at a diner. The music plays lightly in the background. The lyric “I find it harder to breathe” aligns with Malik’s “good news/bad news” dialogue.
- “Crosses” by José González (01:44:00): The Encounter soundtrack song accompanies the end credits.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Cinema: ‘A Perfect Pairing’
The Encounter soundtrack also includes:
- “Summer Never Ended and the Damage Was All Mine” by Ionalee and “#3” by Aphex Twin.
Q.V. Hough (@QVHough) is Vague Visages’ founding editor and chief film critic.
You must be logged in to post a comment.