The Top Gun soundtrack includes music by Kenny Loggins, The Righteous Brothers and Berlin. This info article contains spoilers and song details for Tony Scott’s 1986 movie. Check out Vague Visages’ Soundtracks of Cinema section for more music guides.
Top Gun stars Tom Cruise as Pete “Maverick” Mitchell, a U.S. Navy pilot who worries about his reputation and legacy. Kelly McGillis co-stars as Charlotte “Charlie” Blackwood, an aviation instructor who develops a romance with the protagonist. The storyline follows Maverick as he recovers from a tragedy and overcomes insecurity issues. Composer Harold Faltermeyer (Top Gun: Maverick) scored the 119-minute film, which features 14 needle-drop tracks. Here’s every song in Top Gun.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Cinema: ‘The Valet’
Top Gun Soundtrack: Every Song in the 1986 Movie
- “Top Gun Anthem” by Harold Faltermeyer & Steve Stevens (00:09:00): The Top Gun soundtrack song scores the opening title sequence. A graphic provides context for the U.S. Navy’s Fighter Weapons School. The music plays again at 01:23:00 and 01:39:00.
- “Danger Zone” by Kenny Loggins (00:02:00): The track scores a Top Gun landing montage. A graphic reads “Indian Ocean. Present Day.” The song can also be heard at 00:15:00 and 01:03:00.
- “Lead Me On” by Teena Marie (00:19:00): Maverick and Nick “Goose” Bradshaw (Anthony Edwards) attend an “Animal Night” event. The music plays as they enter a hotel. Maverick identifies a “target-rich environment.”
- “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feeling” by The Righteous Brothers (00:22:00): Maverick and Goose pull a familiar singing routine. They try to gain the attention of Charlie and ultimately succeed. The Top Gun soundtrack song plays again at 01:43:00 during a bar sequence.
- “Hot Summer Nights” by Miami Sound Machine (00:23:00): Charlie introduces herself to Maverick, and vice versa. The music plays at “Animal Night.” Charlie jokes about Maverick’s callsign.
- “Playing with the Boys” by Kenny Loggins (00:41:00): A beach volleyball sequence begins. Maverick and Goose compete against Tom “Iceman” Kazansky (Val Kilmer) and Ron “Slider” Kerner (Rick Rossovich). Cruise’s character leaves to meet with Charlie.
- “Take My Breath Away” by Berlin (00:42:00): Maverick rides a motorcycle. The Top Gun soundtrack song continues as he arrives at Charlie’s home. The musical motif also plays 00:47:00, 00:49:00, 00:50:00 and 00:52:00.
- “(Sittin’ On) The Dock of the Bay” by Otis Redding (00:45:00): Maverick and Charlie drink wine and gaze at each other. The 1968 hit scores a conversation sequence. Maverick tells Charlie that his parents loved the song.
- “Great Balls of Fire” by Jack Hammer & Otis Blackwell (01:01:00): Goose plays a piano at a bar. He sings the 1957 classic with his son. Carole Bradshaw (Meg Ryan) talks about her husband; Maverick performs the Top Gun soundtrack song with Goose.
- “Destination Unknown” by Marietta Waters (01:26:00): Maverick arrives at a Top Gun graduation party. The track plays as Iceman holds a plaque and smiles. Maverick congratulates his fellow aviator.
- “Radar Radio” by Giorgio Moroder & Tom Whitlock (01:42:00): Maverick visits a bar. He drinks a beer and reads a newspaper. The music fades as Charlie plays “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feeling” on a jukebox.
- “Mighty Wings” by Cheap Trick (01:45:00): The Top Gun soundtrack song scores the end credits.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Cinema: ‘Toscana’
The Top Gun soundtrack also includes:
- “Heaven in Your Eyes” by Loverboy
- “Through the Fire” by Larry Greene
Q.V. Hough (@QVHough) is Vague Visages’ founding editor.