The Happy Gilmore soundtrack includes music by Lynyrd Skynyrd, House of Pain and Kansas. This info article contains spoilers and song details for Dennis Dugan’s 1996 movie. Check out Vague Visages’ Soundtracks of Cinema section for more music guides.
Happy Gilmore stars Adam Sandler as a proud hockey player who transforms into a professional golfer. Christopher McDonald co-stars as Shooter McGavin, a cocky golf pro who plots against the protagonist. The narrative examines Happy’s attempts to help his ailing grandmother. Composer Mark Mothersbaugh (Tiger King) scored the 92-minute film; music supervisors Jennifer Pyken (This Is Us), Mary Ramos (Kill Bill) and Michelle Silverman (Mayans M.C.) selected the featured needle-drops. Here’s every song in Happy Gilmore.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Cinema: ‘Top Gun’
Happy Gilmore Soundtrack: Every Song in the 1996 Movie
- “Tuesday’s Gone” by Lynyrd Skynyrd (00:00:00): The Happy Gilmore soundtrack song scores the opening sequence. The title character narrates about his childhood and hockey experiences. “Tuesday’s Gone” plays again at 01:27:20.
- “Kiss You All Over” by Exile (00:06:00): Happy berates Terry (Nancy Hillis). He apologizes and asks her not to leave him. Happy sings the 1978 song from his apartment intercom system as a Chinese woman (Helena Yea) listens.
- “Money (That’s What I Want)” by Berry Gordy Jr., Janie Bradford (00:13:00): Happy wins a golf bet. He recognizes an opportunity to help his grandmother (Frances Bay). The Motown instrumental can also be heard at 00:48:00.
- “Jump Around” by House of Pain (00:24:00): Happy competes at the Waterbury Open. He celebrates with his young caddy (Jared Van Snellenberg). The Happy Gilmore soundtrack song scores a round-by-round montage.
- “Magic” by Pilot (00:26:00): Happy thinks of his grandma at the Waterbury Open. He makes a putt and celebrates. Chubbs Peterson (Carl Weathers) laughs after telling Happy to just “tap it in.”
- “Carry On Wayward Son” by Kansas (00:30:00): Happy flees from his grandma’s retirement home after inadvertently injuring a resident. He drives to a Pro Golf Tour event during a transition sequence. The Happy Gilmore soundtrack song fades as Sandler’s character wears an AC/DC shirt to a social event.
- “Wooly Bully” by Sam the Sham & The Pharaohs (00:37:00): Happy makes a putt. He tosses his putter towards his caddy, Otto (Allen Covert), and talks trash to the TV audience. Doug Thompson (Dennis Dugan) asks to speak with Virginia Venit (Julie Bowen).
- “Endless Love” by Diana Ross and Lionel Richie (00:50:00): Happy takes Virginia to a hockey rink. He worries about a “power failure.” Happy giggles as the famous love song plays during his date with Virginia.
- “Happy Day” by Uncanny Alliance (01:03:00): The Happy Gilmore soundtrack song scores a Happy Land sequence. Sandler’s character trains with Chubbs. The music plays again at 01:07:00.
- “Rock and Roll Part 2” by Gary Glitter (01:11:00): Verne Lundquist speaks about Happy’s success on day one of The Tour Championship. The music accompanies a montage sequence. Happy takes the lead over Shooter.
- “We’ve Only Just Begun” by Paul Williams, Roger Nichols (01:18:00): Happy imagines a happy place. Chubbs plays the piano during a dream sequence. He sings The Carpenters’ 1970 hit.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Clark’
The Happy Gilmore soundtrack also includes:
- “Green Onions” by Booker T. Jones, Steve Cropper, Lewis Steinberg, Al Jackson Jr.
- “Vidyekhom Svyet Istinly” by Siavyanka Men’s Chorus
- “Clubhouse Pie-Ano” by Sourcerer
Q.V. Hough (@QVHough) is Vague Visages’ founding editor.