The Y: The Last Man soundtrack includes music by Bad Company, Peter Gabriel and Neil Young. This info article contains spoilers for Eliza Clark’s FX on Hulu series. Check out Vague Visages’ Soundtracks of Television section for more streaming guides.
Y: The Last Man stars Diane Lane as Jennifer Brown, a congresswoman who becomes president after an apocalyptic event. Ben Schnetzer co-headlines as Yorick Brown, the commander-in-chief’s son and the last male on Earth. Supervised by Susan Jacobs (Silver Linings Playbook, Servant), the series’ soundtrack features well-known singer-songwriters from the not-so-distant past. Here’s every main song in Y: The Last Man season 1 that complements the score by Herdís Stefánsdóttir (The Sun Is also a Star).
Y: The Last Man Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 1 “The Day Before”
- “Company of Strangers” by Bad Company (00:12): Ashley Romans makes her first appearance as Agent 355. The Y: The Last Man soundtrack tune scores a sequence in Skiatook, Oklahoma. The character pretends to help a friend but ultimately blows up her “company of strangers.”
- “The Book of Love” by Peter Gabriel (00:52): Yorick sleeps while his monkey, Ampersand, throws Cheetos. The heartbroken character wakes up to the lyrics “Some of it’s just transcendental | Some of it’s just really dumb.” Yorick will soon learn the he’s the last male on Earth.
Y: The Last Man Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 2 “Would the World Be Kind”
The Y: The Last Man soundtrack includes a heavy instrumental at 34:00 when Yorick reunites with Ampersand, but it appears to be music from Stefánsdóttir’s score (and not from a mainstream song).
Y: The Last Man Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 3 “Neil”
- “After the Gold Rush” by Emmylou Harris, Linda Ronstadt and Dolly Parton (00:42): Nora (Marin Ireland) leaves home. Her daughter realizes that the power has returned upon hearing music on the radio. According to the song writer Neil Young, “After the Gold Rush” describes the last days of California during a catastrophic flood.
Y: The Last Man Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 4 “Karen and Benji”
- “Taking a Chance on Love” by Ella Fitzgerald (00:00): The episode begins with a dream sequence. Agent 355 performs on a stage during a happy moment. The Y: Last Man soundtrack song continues as the character gets lost in a forest and arrives at a cliff (an episode-opening cliffhanger).
Y: The Last Man Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 5 “Mann Hunt”
- No Featured Songs
Y: The Last Man Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 6 “Weird Al Is Dead”
- “Karma Police” by Radiohead (00:02): Alison Mann (Diana Bang) tells Agent 355 that Yorick should masturbate. The Y: The Last Man soundtrack song is sung by a congregation nearby. Yorick takes off his mask and learns that Weird Al Yankovic passed away. The music also scores the end credits.
Y: The Last Man Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 7 “My Mother Saw A Monkey”
- No Featured Songs
Y: The Last Man Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 8 “Ready. Aim. Fire.”
- “God’s Whisper” by Raury (00:25): Hero dances with female members of her commune. The women circle around a fire. The lyric “you’ve got something coming” captures the overall vibe.
- “Dance Monkey” by Tones and I (00:26): Nora watches her daughter Mackenzie dance. She suggests that they return home to Washington D.C. Mack gets and angry and thinks her mother upset the locals.
- “In the Hall of the Mountain King” by Edvard Grieg and “Chopsticks” by Euphemia Allen (00:34): Sam roams through a school. He plays the Y: The Last Man soundtrack song on a piano. Principal Blackwell requests to hear “Chopsticks.”
Y: The Last Man Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 9 “Peppers”
- “In Da Club” by 50 Cent (00:01): Yorick’s group holds a Saturday party. Ampersand looks for food during a pan shot. The Y: The Last Man soundtrack plays in the background as Sonia discusses the context for the party.
- “No Scrubs” by TLC (00:03): Yorick asks Agent 355 to dance. They awkwardly groove together as their acquaintances watch.
Y: The Last Man Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 10 “Victoria”
- “Deep Shadows” by Little Ann (00:21): Nora stands up to Roxanne. The Amazons celebrate and swim. “Victoria” continues as Agent 355 bonds with Allison.
- “Ruler of My Heart” by Irma Thomas (00:24): Yorick speaks with Sonia about concepts of time. The characters kiss as the Y: The Last Man soundtrack song closes out the scene.
Q.V. Hough (@QVHough) is Vague Visages’ founding editor.