The He’s All That soundtrack includes songs by Katy Perry, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis and Surf Mesa. This info article contains spoilers and song details for Mark Waters’ 2021 Netflix movie. Visit the Soundtracks of Cinema section for more streaming guides.
He’s All That follows a social media influencer who attempts to transform a “loser’ into a prom king. During the process, Padgett Sawyer (Addison Rae) develops romantic feelings for Cam Kweller (Tanner Buchanan). The He’s All That soundtrack was supervised by Matt Aberle (The Gentlemen), and includes a musical reference to its thematic inspiration, the 1999 film She’s All That. Here’s every featured song in the 2021 Netflix movie.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Cinema: ‘Orphan: First Kill’
He’s All That Soundtrack: Every Song in the 2021 Netflix Movie
- “Carried Away” by Surf Mesa and Madison Beer (00:00): The He’s All That soundtrack song plays over the opening Miramax graphic. “Carried Away” continues during a pan shot in Padgett’s bedroom that ends with a visual of the character’s phone. The music foreshadows the protagonist’s personal evolution, and also scores a moment at 00:41 when Cam emerges after his makeover.
- “Electric” by Katy Perry (00:04): “Electric” scores the opening title sequence in He’s All That. Padgett leaves home for school and rushes to her fake residence, the Paradise Lofts. The opening lyrics correlate with Padgett’s character arc: “In the dark when you feel lost / Wanna be the best but at what cost?”
- “Mean Streets of Pali” by Kaz Gamble and Doug Ray (00:05): Brin (Isabella Crovetti) watches a music video featuring Jordan Van Draanen (Peyton Meyer) on YouTube. She sings the song, and the lyrics don’t impress her misanthropic brother, Cam. The He’s All That soundtrack song underlines Jordan’s lack of self-awareness, as he actually lives on the same block as actress Gwyneth Paltrow.
- “Stop Talkin'” by Valentino Khan feat. Alma (00:15): Padgett forms a plan to gain back her followers in He’s All That. Alden (Madison Pettis) and Quinn (Myra Molloy) help her find a Cali High student who can be transformed into the prom king. “Stop Talkin'” abruptly ends on a shot of Cam.
- “The Boy Is Mine” by Brandy and Monica (00:25): Alden and Quinn perform the 1998 duet at a pool party. Cam arrives with his best friend, Nisha Mandyam (Annie Jacob). The lyrics of the He’s All That soundtrack song focus on a male, but Quinn ultimately pursues a romance with Nisha.
- “Teenage Dream” by Katy Perry (00:27): Padgett performs at the pool party in He’s All That. She gets nervous when Jordan arrives with Aniston (Vanessa Dubasso). Cam offers help by taking the stage and participating in a duet, and thus gains social media fans during a live broadcast.
- “For a Minute” by WizTheMC (00:39): The He’s All That soundtrack song scores a montage sequence in Venice, California. Cam shops for the “Drop It Like It’s F. Scott” party with Padgett, Nisha and Brin. The lyrics align with the willingness of Buchanan’s character to drop his guard.
- “Lakme — Flower Duet” by Leo Clement Philibert Delibes (00:41): The orchestral piece scores a makeover sequence in He’s All That. Cam agrees to a shave, and a slo-mo shot highlights his mood. The music also complements a shared moment between the main protagonists which teases their blossoming romance.
- “The Charleston” by Sam Levine (00:42): Cam and company arrive at Alden’s 18th birthday party. Brin gets upset that her brother brought his camera with. The old-timey He’s All That soundtrack song vibes with the Roaring Twenties theme.
- “Dance Off” by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis (01:10:00): A dance sequence begins at Cali High’s “Under the Sea” prom event in He’s All That. Principal Bosch (Matthew Lillard) comments about the “weird-ass tradition” while Padgett leads a group performance. Jordan and Alden participate in the dance-off.
- “Kiss Me” by Cyn (01:18:00): The He’s All That soundtrack song functions as a call-back to a memorable moment in She’s All That. As Anna Sawyer, Rachel Leigh Cook references her late 90s character Laney Boggs by stating “Why do I know this song?” Sixpence None the Richer recorded the original version for She’s All That.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Cinema: ‘Elvis’
The He’s All That soundtrack also includes:
- “Talk” by Boo Hag
- “Go Bad” by Blu DeTiger
- “Chain My Heart” by Topic feat. Bebe Rexha
- “ILY (I Love You, Baby)” by Surf Mesa feat. Emilee
- “Jalebi Baby” by Tesher
- “Good Humor Jitterbuggin'” by Brian McKenna and Doma Schrank
- “Easy” by Troye Sivan with Kacey Musgraves feat. Mark Ronson
- “Paris Tropical (Kazy Lambist Remix)” by Minuit
- “Your Love” by ATB, Topic, A7S
- “Losing It” by Fisher
- “Better Without You” by TCTS feat. Glowie
- “Carried Away (Tchami Remix)” by Surf Mesa with Madison Beer
Q.V. Hough (@QVHough) is Vague Visages’ founding editor.