The Beauty soundtrack includes music by Ella Fitzgerald, Donna Summer and Judy Garland. This info article contains spoilers for Andrew Dosunmu’s 2022 Netflix movie. Check out Vague Visages’ Soundtracks of Cinema section for more music guides.
Beauty stars Gracie Marie Bradley as the title character, a Black vocalist who signs a recording contract. Aleyse Shannon co-stars as Jasmine, the protagonist’s girlfriend who get pushed into the background. The storyline follows the main characters as they attempt to build a life together without familial interruptions. Composer Philip Miller (Isibaya) scored the 95-minute Netflix film; music supervisor Linda Cohen (Licorice Pizza) handled the featured needle-drops. Here’s every song in Beauty.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Cinema: ‘Spiderhead’
Beauty Soundtrack: Every Song in the 2022 Netflix Movie
- “I’ll Make It” by Dorothy Love Coates (00:04:00): Cain (Micheal Ward) unloads suitcases from a vehicle. The Beauty soundtrack song plays as Beauty’s father (Giancarlo Esposito) watches from a window. He reunites with his children.
- “Come on Children Let’s Sing” by Mahalia Jackson (00:07:00): The music plays from a television. Beauty and her family have dinner. They talk about a recent singing performance.
- “Come on Home (I Need Your Love)” by The Oasis (00:17:00): Beauty’s father starts a vehicle. The track plays as he drives and smiles at his daughter. Beauty talks about her future.
- “One Note Samba” by Ella Fitzgerald (00:18:00): The Beauty soundtrack song plays from a television. Bradley’s character watches a scat performance and smiles. The music drops as Jasmine talks to Beauty about her father.
- ” I Know I’ve Been Changed” by LaShun Pace (00:25:00): The music plays from a television. Beauty’s reflection appears on the screen. She walks to Jasmine’s home.
- “I Feel Love” by Donna Summer (00:29:00): Beauty and Jasmine appear in a stylized close-up. They watch a VHS performance. The music drops as Beauty loads a cassette.
- “Jesus Is a Love Song” by Karen Clark-Sheard feat. The Clark Sisters (00:30:00): Beauty plays a VHS cassette. She walks outside near a tree. The Beauty soundtrack song continues as the title character’s reflection appears on a television screen.
- “When I Rose This Morning” by Carlton Reese and H.L. Parker (00:31:00): The music scores a church sequence. The pastor speaks to his parishioners. A choir performs the song.
- “B2K” by Klein (00:43:00): Cain and Abel (Kyle Bary) leave home in a vehicle. Their mother tells them to be careful. Beauty sits alone in her bedroom.
- “Automatic Introductions” by Stevie Cameo (00:47:00): Jasmine attends a party. A bartender inquires about Beauty’s whereabouts. Jasmine scoffs and says, “I can be alone sometimes.”
- “Move to the Groove” by Disco Four (00:52:00): The Beauty soundtrack song scores a television sequence. Various early-80s clips appear on the screen.
- “I’m in Love” by Evelyn “Champagne” King (00:53:00): An MTV sequence continues. The music drops as Beauty enters her new home.
- “Tender Love” by The Force MD’s (00:54:00): Beauty plays a record in her new home. Jasmine says, “Ah, shit.” The characters dance together.
- “Get Down” by Gene Chandler (01:00:00): Beauty receives a makeover. She says, “This is the one.” The Beauty soundtrack song continues as the Colonizer (Sharon Stone) tells Jasmine not to express romantic emotions to her girlfriend in public.
- “Sudden Inspiration” by Mohammad Reza Mortazavi (01:03:00): The track plays during a studio sequence. Beauty sings in a recording booth. Jasmine gets mad about her girlfriend being compared to a racehorse.
- “There’ll Come a Time” by Betty Everett (01:06:00): Beauty sings along to a record at home. She sits on the floor and closes her eyes. Beauty stops the music when Sammy (Joey Bada$$) knocks at the door.
- “Last Mile of the Way” by Sister Rosetta Tharpe (01:08:00): The Beauty soundtrack song scores an interior sequence. Bradley’s character listens to music and walks around her home. She opens a door for Jasmine.
- “Over the Rainbow” by Judy Garland (01:18:00): Beauty stands outside her father’s hospital door. The music plays during a transition sequence. Beauty looks at herself in a mirror and watches a performance on her television.
- “Over the Rainbow” by Patti LaBelle (01:19:00): Beauty loads a VHS cassette. She watches another vocal performance. The Beauty soundtrack song fades during a family photo scene.
- “Over the Rainbow” by Aram Mandosian Stage Band (01:20:00): The music plays during a dressing room sequence. Beauty tells Jasmine to put a video camera away. Her mother complains about the house band’s tempo.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Cinema: ‘Heart Parade’
The Beauty soundtrack also includes:
- “Farewell Sorry” by Klein
- “Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me” by Gladys Knight
- “Thumping Tennis Shoe Blues” by Target Thumping
Q.V. Hough (@QVHough) is Vague Visages’ founding editor.