The Fellow Travelers soundtrack includes music by Stevie Wonder, Nat King Cole and Billie Holiday. This info article contains spoilers and song details for Ron Nyswaner’s Showtime series on Paramount+. Visit the Soundtracks of Television section for more Vague Visages music guides.
Fellow Travelers stars Matt Bomer as Hawkins “Hawk” Fuller, a closeted U.S. deputy counsel in the 1950s. Jonathan Bailey co-stars as Tim Laughlin, an aide for U.S. Senator Joseph R. McCarthy. The storyline follows the main protagonists’ romantic ups and downs over the course of several decades. Composer Paul Leonard-Morgan (Limitless) scored the Showtime series; music supervisors Michael Perlmutter (Billy the Kid) and Mikaila Simmons (Diggstown) picked the featured needle-drops. Here’s every song in Fellow Travelers, an adaptation of Thomas Mallon’s 2007 novel.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Ghosts of Beirut’
Fellow Travelers Soundtrack: Every Song in Episode 1 “You’re Wonderful”
- “If It’s Magic” by Stevie Wonder (00:00): The Fellow Travelers soundtrack song scores the opening sequence. Marcus (Jelani Alladin) drives through a neighborhood in 1986. Hawk hosts a party.
- “Pretend” by Nat King Cole (00:08): The music plays during an interior scene. Hawk smokes a cigarette after a sexual encounter with a man. Music plays from a speaker system.
- “Rags to Riches” by Tony Bennett (00:18): Hawk finishes a phone call with Tim. The big band tune continues during a transition scene. Tim arrives at the office of Joe McCarthy (Chris Bauer).
- “You Turned the Tables On Me” by Anita O’Day feat. Oscar Peterson Quartet (00:26): Tim finishes a sexual encounter with Hawk. A transition scene begins. The Fellow Travelers soundtrack song plays as Hawk arrives at Tim’s home with a gift.
- “Easy Does It” by Oscar Peterson (00:38): Tim visits Hawk’s home. Music plays from a speaker system. Tim touches a couch.
- “T’aint Nobody’s Bizness If I Do” by Billie Holiday (00:42): An interior scene begins. Tim arrives at a social event. He talks to Joseph Alsop (Dan Lett).
- “Blues at Twilight” by Art Pepper (00:46): The Fellow Travelers soundtrack song accompanies a bar sequence. Tim speaks to Hawk. He inquires about his relationship status.
- “Only You” by Steve Monite (00:58): A San Francisco scene begins. Hawk visits a diner and calls Tim. Music plays from the speaker system.
- “I Couldn’t Say It to Your Face” by Arthur Russell (01:01:00): The track scores the end credits.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Waco: The Aftermath’
Fellow Travelers Soundtrack: Every Song in Episode 2 “Bulletproof”
- “For He’s a Jolly Good Fellow” by Cast (00:03): A diner scene concludes. The Fellow Travelers soundtrack song continues during a transition sequence. Hawk and colleagues sing to Senator Smith.
- “The Train Kept a-Rollin'” by Tiny Bradshaw (00:20): Tim rests in his bedroom. He gets up and visits the home of Mary (Erin Neufer). Tim meets an underground group.
- “Four” by Miles Davis Quartet (00:43): Hawk talks to Tim. He plays a record. Tim argues with Hawk.
- “Walk the Night” by Skatt Bros (00:44): Tim finishes a phone call. He walks through a night club. The Fellow Travelers soundtrack song plays from the speaker system.
- “Blue and Grey Shirt” by American Music Club (00:57): The track scores the end credits.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘George & Tammy’
Fellow Travelers Soundtrack: Every Song in Episode 3 “Hit Me”
- “Mad About the Boy” by Chelsea Russell & Andy Milne (00:06): Hawk finishes a conversation with Lucy. The music continues during a club scene. A singer performs the Fellow Travelers soundtrack song.
- “Lover Come Back to Me” by Nat King Cole (00:13): Marcus talks to Frankie about their relationship. The music continues during a transition scene. Hawk drives a green vehicle and arrives at the Nomad Bar with Tim.
- “Don’t Let the Stars Get in Your Eyes” by Perry Como (00:15): A Nomad Bar scene continues. Hawk plays darts with Tim. Music plays from the speaker system.
- “Please Love Me” by B.B. King (00:15): Hawk arrives at a motel room. The Fellow Travelers soundtrack song plays from a speaker system. Hawk checks on a friend.
- “Ain’t This a Wonderful Day” by Anita O’Day (00:21): Tim waits for Hawk at the Nomad Bar. Music plays from the speaker system. Tim kisses a man in a bathroom.
- “Perhaps Perhaps Perhaps” by Cast (00:30): Tim gets tipsy during a dinner scene. Hawk vows to cut him off. Tim spontaneously starts singing to accordion music.
- “The Great Pretender” by Freddie Mercury (00:57): Hawk talks about his sexual history. He prepares for an HIV test. The track scores the episode’s final moments and end credits.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Let the Right One In’
Fellow Travelers airs weekly on Showtime. New episodes premiere every Friday through December 15, 2023. This article about Fellow Travelers soundtrack will be updated as the series progresses.
Q.V. Hough (@QVHough) is Vague Visages’ founding editor.