The Nyad soundtrack includes music by Simon & Garfunkel, Neil Young and Roy Orbison. This info article contains spoilers and song details for Jimmy Chin and Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi’s 2023 Netflix movie. Check out Vague Visages’ Soundtracks of Cinema section for more music guides.
Nyad stars Annette Bening as Diana Nyad, a famous American swimmer and broadcaster. Jodie Foster co-stars as Bonnie Stoll, the protagonist’s best friend and trainer. The storyline follows Diana as she tries to swim from Cuba to Florida during her sixties. Composer Alexandre Desplat (The King’s Speech) scored the 120-minute Netflix film, which features a total of 10 credited tracks. Here’s every song in Nyad, an adaptation of Diana Nyad’s 2015 book Find a Way.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Cinema: ‘Wingwomen’
Nyad Soundtrack: Every Song in the 2023 Netflix Movie
- “By the Beautiful Sea” by Doc Severinsen and The Tonight Show Band (00:00:00): The Nyad soundtrack song is featured during the opening sequence. Diana earns attention during a montage. She speaks with Johnny Carson.
- “Every Natural Thing” by Aretha Franklin (00:04:00): Bonnie hosts a birthday party for Diana. The track continues during an interior scene. Diana talks about her childhood.
- “The Sound of Silence” by Simon & Garfunkel (00:12:00): The music is featured during an exterior scene. Diana dives into a pool. The track scores the opening credits sequence.
- “Carry On” by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young (00:21:00): Diana pleads with Bonnie for more training time. The Nyad soundtrack song continues during a transition scene. Diana swims for eight hours and three minutes.
- “Save the Last Dance for Me” by The Drifters (00:52:00): John (Rhys Ifans) tells Diana to avoid icebergs. The protagonist makes her way to Key West, Florida. Diana worries about a fire.
- “Piece of My Heart” by Big Brother & The Holding Company feat. Janis Joplin (01:09:00): The music accompanies a storm sequence. Diana comes within 58 miles of Key West. Bonnie calls out to the main protagonist.
- “Heart of Gold” by Neil Young (01:32:00): The Nyad soundtrack song scores a swimming sequence. Bonnie and company save Diana from a shark attack. The track continues during a montage.
- “Crying” by Roy Orbison (01:39:00): Diana swims and thinks about being immortal. The music continues as Bonnie wipes her eyes. John spots the Florida coast.
- “Find a Way” by Jade Bird (01:52:00): The track scores the epilogue sequence. Archival footage shows the real Diana arriving at the Florida coast. The music continues during the end credits.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Cinema: ‘Pain Hustlers’
The Nyad soundtrack also includes:
- “Hands of Destruction” by Lemon Sun
Q.V. Hough (@QVHough) is Vague Visages’ founding editor.