The Happiness for Beginners soundtrack includes music by Bob Schneider, Max Frost and The Cure. This info article contains spoilers and song details for Vicky Wight’s 2023 Netflix movie. Check out Vague Visages’ Soundtracks of Cinema section for more music guides.
Happiness for Beginners stars Ellie Kemper as Helen, a divorced Pittsburg teacher who plans a hiking trip in Connecticut. Luke Grimes co-stars as Jake, a doctor with declining vision. The storyline follows the main players as they develop a bond while talking about the past. Composer Sherri Chung (Riverdale) scored the 103-minute Netflix film, which features a total of 15 credited tracks. Here’s every song in Happiness for Beginners.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Cinema: ‘They Cloned Tyrone’
Happiness for Beginners Soundtrack: Every Song in the 2023 Netflix Movie
- “Head in the Clouds” by Max Frost (00:00:00): The Happiness for Beginners soundtrack song scores the opening sequence. An exterior montage begins. Helen thinks about goals for a hiking trip.
- “Hey Cat” by Nomke (00:06:00): Helen finishes a conversation with Duncan (Alexander Koch). The track continues during a transition scene. Helen drives her vehicle.
- “Beautiful Dreamer” by Blythe Danner (00:07:00): Helen enters a home. She looks around for her grandmother. Gigi (Blythe Danner) sings a tune during an exterior scene.
- “Island” by Elizabeth Drummond (00:09:00): The Happiness for Beginners soundtrack song accompanies a travel sequence. Helen drives her vehicle. She arrives at a motel.
- “Bombanaza” by Bob Schneider (00:25:00): A road scene begins. Helen travels in a blue bus with fellow hikers. Beckett (Ben Cook) exits a vehicle.
- “Moon Song” by Bob Schneider (00:42:00): Helen and company begin a hiking adventure. The music continues during a transition scene. Beckett provides trail names for his group members.
- “Greensleeves” by Gus Birney (01:09:00): The Happiness for Beginners soundtrack song is featured during an exterior scene. Kaylee (Kaylee) plays a ukelele. She sings along to the music.
- “Give a Little Love” by MoStar Driving Club (01:17:00): Beckett talks to Helen. He worries about someone getting “trench foot.” Helen hangs out with Mason (Esteban Benito).
- “Molly Malone” by Gus Birney (01:22:00): Helen finishes a conversation with Jake. A campfire scene begins. Kaylee performs a song.
- “40 Dogs (Like Romeo & Juliet)” by Bob Schneider (01:30:00): The Happiness for Beginners soundtrack song plays during an exterior scene. Helen parts ways with her hiking group. She sings while driving a vehicle.
- “Just Like Heaven” by The Cure (01:35:00): Gigi arrives at a restaurant with Ricky (Joel Blum). Helen talks to Duncan. The track scores the film’s final moments and end credits.
- “This Whisper Is Ours” by Leon III (01:39:00): The music plays during the end credits.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Black Mirror’
The Happiness for Beginners soundtrack also includes:
- “Jam Likely” by Zackey Force Funk/XL Middleton
- “Come Round” by Astropark
- “Super Fresh (Instrumental)” by Alaina Cross x Silverberg
Q.V. Hough (@QVHough) is Vague Visages’ founding editor.