The Afterparty soundtrack includes music by Shaggy, Khia and Bleachers. This info article contains spoilers for Christopher Miller’s Apple TV+ series. Visit the Soundtracks of Television section for more Vague Visages music guides.
In The Afterparty, Tiffany Haddish stars as a Bay Area detective who investigates the murder of a pop star. Sam Richardson co-stars as the main suspect, while Ben Schwartz plays a wannabe music producer. Composer Daniel Pemberton (Being the Ricardos) scored the Apple TV+ series; music supervisor Kier Lehman (Space Jam: A New Legacy) selected the needle-drop tracks. Here’s every featured song in The Afterparty.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Anatomy of a Scandal’
The Afterparty Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 1 “Aniq”
- “Angel” by Shaggy (00:00): The Afterparty soundtrack song opens the series. Aniq (Richardson) listens to the music in his vehicle. The track fades as he arrives at a high school reunion event.
- “If I Could Turn Back Time” by Cher (00:23): Zoë (Zoë Chao) sings a karaoke song at her high school reunion. Aniq watches near the stage. Yasper (Schwartz) tells Aniq that Zoë is singing to him.
- “My Neck, My Back (Lick It)” by Khia (00:24): Aniq dedicates a song to Zoë. The wrong music plays. Aniq makes up his own lyrics.
- “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” by Israel Kamakawiwo’ole (00:30): A slideshow begins at the Hillside reunion party. The Afterparty soundtrack song continues as Aniq and Zoë leave to get cookies.
- “Rollercoaster” by Bleachers (00:31): Aniq and Zoë eat cookies together. They visit the teacher’s lounge and find Mr. Shapiro (Christopher May) and Heather hooking up in a closet. Aniq and Zoë consume weed gummies.
- “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough (Eric Kupper Remix)” by Diana Ross (00:39): Aniq and Yasper leave the reunion party. Brett (Ike Barinholtz) briefly chases after their vehicle. Yasper drives Aniq and Chelsea (Ilana Glazer) to a party hosted by Xavier (Dave Franco).
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Outer Range’
The Afterparty Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 2 “Brett”
- “Feel Good Inc.” by Gorillaz (00:12): Brett begins “Operation Nostalgia.” The Afterparty soundtrack song plays as he strategizes against Xavier. Brett takes control of the DJ’s computer.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Dirty Lines’
The Afterparty Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 3 “Yasper”
- “Two Shots” by Ben Schwartz, Sam Richardson & Jamie Demetriou (00:07): Yasper performs a motivational rap song for Aniq. He rhymes in a gymnasium as his classmates dance. Aniq and Walt (Jamie Demetriou) join in on the rap.
- “Yeah Sure Whatever” by Ben Schwartz (00:15): Xavier reluctantly agrees to bless Yasper’s track. Schwartz’s character celebrates with a spontaneous performance. The Afterparty soundtrack song continues as Yasper rocks out with several classmates.
- “Three Dots from Stardom” by Ben Schwartz (00:20): Yasper worries about getting his track blessed. He roams around Xavier’s home and waits for a text message. Yasper continues performing with an acoustic guitar.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Tokyo Vice’
The Afterparty Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 4 “Chelsea”
- Background Music Only
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Slow Horses’
The Afterparty Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 5 “High School”
- “The Way I Are” by Timbaland, Kari Hilson, D.O.E. (00:05): Walt reflects about St. Patrick’s Day 2006. He remembers a “buzz in the air” at Pattensale Hall. The Afterparty soundtrack song plays as Walt preps for a big party.
- “Ridin'” by Chamillionaire, Krayzie Bone (00:06): Eugene aka Xavier arrives at school in a sports car. Aniq and Yasper groan. Eugene puts on a backpack and smiles.
- “The Middle” by Jimmy Eat World (00:07): Aniq talks about getting into Stanford. He hopes to connect with Zoë due to his “new confidence.” Yasper begins using his trademark “one shot” line.
- “Heartbeats” by The Knife (00:10): Aniq speaks with Zoë in class. He receives advice from Yasper. The Afterparty soundtrack song plays in the background
- “Hey Ya!” by Outkast (00:12): The track scores a party montage. Chelsea eats frosting from a cake. She starts a conversation with Zoë as Walt watches.
- “Needy Girl” by Chromeo (00:18): Chelsea compliments Eugene about his new hairstyle. They discuss the latter’s “new persona,” Xavier. The music scores a party scene.
- “Ms. New Booty” by Bubba Sparxxx feat. Ying Yang Wins & Mr. Collipark (00:24): Eugene leaves a bedroom. He is questioned by party guests on camera as The Afterparty soundtrack song plays. Eugene claims that he had a three-way with Chelsea and Walt.
- “Dance Like This” by Wyclef Jean feat. Claudette Ortiz (00:25): Aniq takes a big drink of alcohol. Yasper tells him to take it slow. Aniq belches and relaxes.
- “Hips Don’t Lie” by Shakira feat. Wyclef Jean (00:25): The track scores a home footage montage. Various party guests enjoy themselves outdoors. Eugene boasts about a sexual experience.
- “My Humps” by Black Eyed Peas (00:26): Chelsea leaves a bedroom. A room full of party guests stare at her. The Afterparty soundtrack song continues as Jennifer 2 speaks with Chelsea.
- “Angel” by Shaggy feat. Rayvon (00:28): Brett tries to impress Zoë. He claims to have a mixtape for her that actually belongs to Aniq. Zoë states that “Angel” is her favorite song as she bonds with Brett.
- “Boom” by P.O.D. (00:30): Aniq breaks the windshield on Eugene’s vehicle. The characters prepare to fight. Cameras roll as Brett scoffs at Aniq and Eugene’s fighting techniques.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Bridgerton’
The Afterparty Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 6 “Zoë”
- “If I Could Turn Back Time” by Cher (00:08): Zoë sings karaoke at her high school anniversary party. She is joined on stage by her imaginary double. The Afterparty soundtrack song continues as Aniq smiles during an animated sequence; the song can be heard again at 00:27.
- “My Neck, My Back (Lick It)” by Khia (00:09): Aniq performs a karaoke song. Zoë and her double giggle at the accidental selection. Aniq makes up clean lyrics while performing.
- “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” by Israel Kamakawiwo’ole (00:11): A Brett and Zoë slide show begins. Aniq states that he would like to see the teachers’ lounge. Zoë prepares to drink “something hard.”
Read More at VV —
The Afterparty Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 7 “Danner”
- “Guilty All the Same” by Linkin Park feat. Rakim (00:19): The Afterparty soundtrack song scores a flashback sequence. Danner recalls investigating a Los Angeles murder case in 2008. Her former partner, Klews (Jimmy Tatro), listens to a new Linkin Park song and states that “It freaking rips.”
Read More at VV —
The Afterparty Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 8 “Maggie”
- “Angel” by Shaggy (00:34): The music plays during a coastline sequence. Zoë pulls over and wonders if Aniq will make a move. The characters kiss as Walt asks to be dropped off.
- “Imma Live Forever” by Xavier (00:36): The Afterparty soundtrack song scores the end credits.
Q.V. Hough (@QVHough) is Vague Visages’ founding editor.