The Army of Thieves soundtrack includes music by Richard Wagner, Stephanie Olmanni and Meerkat Meerkat. This info article contains spoilers and song details for Matthias Schweighöfer’s 2021 Netflix movie. Visit the Vague Visages Soundtracks of Cinema section for more music guides.
Army of Thieves stars Matthias Schweighöfer as a German safecracker named Sebastian Schlencht-Wöhnert. Six years before the events depicted in Army of the Dead, he is recruited by the leader of an international heist team (Nathalie Emmanuel as Gwendoline Starr). Sebastian assumes the identity of “Ludwig Dieter” and participates in robberies throughout Europe. In addition, he dreams of breaking into the legendary safe “Gotterdammerung,” all the while having nightmares about a zombie outbreak in America. The film’s needledrop selections complement the score by composers Hans Zimmer and Steve Mazzar while also correlating with Dieter’s character arc. Here’s every featured song in Army of Thieves.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Cinema: ‘Hustle’
Army of Thieves Soundtrack: Every Song in the 2021 Netflix Movie
- “Das Rheingold: Scene 2: Zu Mir: Freia!” by Richard Wagner (00:39:00): Sebastian prepare to crack a safe in Paris. Gwendoline attempt to calm him down. The Army of Thieves soundtrack song plays as Sebastian gets to work.
- “Electric Swing” by Epic Amsterdam (00:47:00): Korina plays music as her team relaxes. Sebastian freaks out during a beer pong competition. He asks Rolph (Guz Khan) if they’re doing the “bonding thing.”
- “Eleganz” by Meerkat Meerkat (00:55:00): Brad (Stuart Martin) complains about the “little asshole” Sebastian. Rolph states that the safecracker is a “likable dude.” The Army of Thieves soundtrack song plays in the background.
- “Chlapec spod Gupne” by Ľudovít Kašuba (01:01:00): A Czech video security guard named Pavel drinks a beer at work. He is warned about his behavior by a colleague. They spot Sebastian (now going by Dieter) on a monitor.
- “Die Walkure: Act III” by Richard Wagner (01:04:00): Dieter states that composer Richard Wagner spent 31 years writing the “Ring” cycle, which is longer than Hans Wagner (Christian Steyer) spent building his corresponding safes. Gwendoline replies by acknowledging that she already knew that. Dieter plays the music on his phone while preparing to crack a safe in Prague.
- “Firewall” by Stephanie Olmanni (01:32:00): The Army of Thieves soundtrack song scores a nightmare sequence. Dieter dreams about the zombie outbreak and wakes up in the heist team’s vehicle. The music fades as Korina suggests that maybe Dieter saw his own death.
- “They All Laughed” by George Gershwin and Ira Gershwin (01:36:00): Interpol agents Delacroix (Jonathan Cohen) and Beatrix (Noemie Nakai) arrive at a casino in St. Moritz, Switerland. They discover that management has already learned about a “risk.” An entertainer performs the song as Delacroix and Beatrix process the cryptic information.
- “Gotterdammerung: Act III” by Richard Wagner / Hong Kong Philharmonic Orchestra / Jaap van Zweden (01:40:00): Dieter prepares to crack a safe in a moving transport vehicle. He goes through his usual routine while Gwendoline drives. The music continues as Dieter say hello to “Siegfried.”
- “Siegfried/Dritter Aufzug: … Oh, Siegfried! by Richard Wagner (02:01:00): Dieter receives a visit from Scott Ward (Dave Bautista) and Maria Cruz (Ana de la Reguera) at Gwendoline’s Safe & Lock Co. in Las Vegas, Nevada. The scene is from the first franchise installment, Army of the Dead. The Army of Thieves soundtrack song plays as Dieter expresses his excitement about the opportunity to crack “Gotterdammerung.”
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘From Scratch’
The Army of Thieves soundtrack also includes:
- “Goin’ Crazy” by Stephanie Olmanni.
Q.V. Hough (@QVHough) is Vague Visages’ founding editor.