The A Million Miles Away soundtrack includes music by Calexico, Devo and Y La Bamba. This info article contains spoilers and song details for Alejandra Márquez Abella’s 2023 Amazon movie. Check out Vague Visages’ Soundtracks of Cinema section for more music guides.
A Million Miles Away stars Michael Peña as José, a California field worker who dreams of working for NASA. Rosa Salazar co-stars as Adela, the protagonist’s supportive wife. The storyline follows José as he pursues his personal and professional goals. Composer Camilo Lara (Gentefied) scored the 121-minute Amazon film; music supervisors Javier Nuño (Acapulco) and Joe Rodriguez (Acapulco) handled the featured needle-drops. Here’s every song in A Million Miles Away, an adaptation of José M. Hernández’s 2012 book Reaching for the Stars.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Cinema: ‘The Burial’
A Million Miles Away Soundtrack: Every Song in the 2023 Amazon Movie
- “California Dreamin'” by Calexico (00:00:00): The A Million Miles Away soundtrack song scores the opening sequence. Seven-year-old José (Juan Pablo Monterrubio) rests in a field. He runs to his mother while carrying a corn husk.
- “96 Tears” by ? and the Mysterians (00:04:00): José answers a math question. The track plays as Miss Young (Michelle Krusiec) smiles. The music continues during a bedroom scene.
- “El Hilo del Pueblo” by Jose Alfredo Jimenez (00:16:00): Salvador (Julio Cesar Cedillo) starts his engine. He arrives in Stockton, California with his family. The music plays again at 01:51:00.
- “Contrabando Y Traición” by Los Tigres del Norte (00:17:00): A 1985 sequence begins. José sings the A Million Miles Away soundtrack song while driving. The tune is featured again at 01:11:00 and 01:46:00.
- “El Corrido de Emiliano Carranza” by Latin Music Publishing (00:21:00): An outdoors sequence begins. José talks to Beto (Bobby Soto). The characters discuss an outdoors research facility.
- “No Lo Puedo Creer” by Mario Gastelum (00:25:00): José meets with Julia (Veronica Falcón). He speaks to Salvador during an exterior transition scene. Music plays lightly from a speaker system.
- “True” by Spandau Ballet (00:28:00): José fills out a NASA application. The A Million Miles Away soundtrack song plays from a speaker system. Lety (Marilyn Uribe) enters the room.
- “This Land Is Your Land” by The Kingston Trio (00:29:00): An exterior montage begins. José visits a car lot with Beto. He meets Adela (Rosa Salazar) for the first time.
- “When Your Heart Goes Crazy” by Durwood Haddock (00:30:00): An office scene continues. Adela talks about José’s car investment. Music plays lightly from a speaker system.
- “Never Gonna Give You Up” by Rick Astley (00:33:00): Adela agrees to a date with José. The A Million Miles Away soundtrack song kicks in during a transition scene. José drives and then parks his vehicle.
- “Whip It” by Devo (00:38:00): José looks at a document. He carries a box during an office scene. The track scores a montage sequence.
- “Hoy Me He Vuelto a Equivocar” by Wilkins (00:41:00): An interior scene begins. José meets Adela’s mother (Mercedes Hernández). Music plays lightly from a speaker system.
- “Querida” by Juan Gabriel (00:45:00): José inquires about being alone with Adela. The A Million Miles Away soundtrack song continues during a transition scene. José marries Adela.
- “Smile Now, Cry Later” by Sunny & The Sunliners (00:52:00): Adela talks to José. The track continues during a transition scene. José hangs out with Beto.
- “La Cama de Piedra” by Cuco Sanchez (01:07:00): José talks to Sturckow (Garret Dillahunt) about working for NASA. An exterior scene begins. José hangs out with his in-laws.
- “Deja Que Salga La Luna” by Ashley Ciarra and Haziel Chenoa Lopez Diaz (01:18:00): Beto passes away. An interior scene begins. Marisa (Ashley Ciarra) sings the A Million Miles Away soundtrack song during a memorial gathering.
- “Mas Alla del Sol” by Joan Sebastian (01:26:00): José jogs during an exterior scene. Music plays from his earbuds. The volume increases as he stares at a building.
- “Michoacan” by Y La Bamba (01:33:00): José joins a NASA space crew. The music continues during a transition scene. José speaks during a NASA press conference.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Cinema: ‘Air’
The A Million Miles Away soundtrack also includes:
- “Me Vas a Nagar Tres Veces” by Fredy Rodriguez
- “Corrido de Pancho Villa” by Arimar Velazquez
- “The Bigger the Boom” by Shawn O. Thomas and John B. Miller
- “Put Ya Hands Up” by Latin Music Publishing
- “Dale, Dale, Dale” by Traditional
- “Es Facil” by Fermin Sanchez
Q.V. Hough (@QVHough) is Vague Visages’ founding editor.