The Birds of Paradise soundtrack includes music by Charlotte Gainsbourg, Arianne Moffatt and Chromatics. This info article contains spoilers and song details for Sarah Adina Smith’s 2021 Amazon Prime movie. Check out Vague Visages’ Soundtracks of Cinema section for more music guides.
Birds of Paradise stars Kristine Frøseth and Diana Silvers as Marine Elise Durand and Kate Sanders, respectively. In France, the two American ballerinas compete for a contract with the Paris Opera Ballet. Music supervisors Sara Matarazzo and Stephanie Pigott complement Ellen Reid’s original score with several shoegaze/dream pop tracks. Here’s every featured song in Birds of Paradise, an adaption of A.K. Small’s novel Bright Burning Stars.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Cinema: ‘The Man from Toronto’
Birds of Paradise Soundtrack: Every Song in the 2021 Amazon Prime Movie
- “Attrape Reve” by Polo & Pan (00:02:00): Madame Brunelle (Jacqueline Bisset) demands to know about Kate’s intentions. The Birds of Paradise soundtrack song plays during the title sequence. “Attrape Reve” fades as Marine dances in front of a window overlooking Paris and the Eiffel Tower.
- “Chanson Pour Ma Vielle” by Clara Luciani (00:03:00): Marine heads to dance class after being chastised by her mother. Valentine Louvet (Stav Strashko) explains Madame Burnell’s expectations to a wide-eyed Kate. The song’s dream-like quality emphasizes the perspective of Silvers’ character, who is at once nervous and hopeful about the future.
- “Mirza” by Jalil Bennis and Les Golden Hands (00:12:00): After an awkward first meeting, Kate and Marine learn that they are roommates. Frøseth’s character blasts the Birds of Paradise soundtrack song in the middle of a conversation. Kate stops the music and confronts Marine about smoking.
- “1,2,3” by Donna Blue (00:31:00): Kate chats with Marine after a sexual encounter with Felipe (Daniel Camargo). She learns that her roommate is the daughter of America’s ambassador to France. “1,2,3” plays lightly in the background.
- “Your Woman” by GYM (00:44:00): Kate and Marine vow to win the prize together or not at all. The director Smith includes close-ups as the Birds of Paradise soundtrack song begins. Various ballerinas prepare as the cover of White Town’s 1997 single plays.
- “Deadly Valentine” by Charlotte Gainsbourg (00:49:00): Jean-Paul (Gaetan Vermeulen) urges Kate to take some drugs before dancing. In a transition scene, Silvers’ character pops a pill. The music scores an extended montage.
- “N’Attends Pas Mon Sourire” by Ariane Moffatt (01:06:00): Marine cries while listening to a final voicemail message from her brother, Ollie. In a slo-mo transition scene, Frøseth’s character informs Kate that she already knows about her roommate’s sexual encounter with Felipe. The protagonists bond in bed while director Smith complements the moment with a stylized dance scene and intimate encounter between the female leads.
- “Whispers in the Hall” by Chromatics (01:31:00): The Birds of Paradise soundtrack song plays as the final dance competition begins. “Whispers in the Hall” scores an extended performance sequence featuring Marine and Kate. The track fades as Frøseth’s character takes the stage.
- “Movies” by Weyes Blood (01:48:00): The music scores the bulk of the end credits.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Cinema: ‘Emergency’
The Birds of Paradise soundtrack also includes:
- “Rolkor” by Mister Squinter
- “Dance with Me” by Nouvelle Vague
- “La Source, Naila Valse” by Wilhelm Backhaus
- “Piano Study in Mixed Accents” by Sarah Cahill
- “Fratres” by Gidon Kremer and Keith Jarrett
- “N’Ecoute Pas Les Idoles” by France Gall
- “Gossiper Scandal Monger” by Julie Coker
- “Juliet’s Funeral – Juliet’s Death” by The Cleveland Orchestra and Lorin Maazel.
Q.V. Hough (@QVHough) is Vague Visages’ founding editor.
Categories: 2020s, Amazon Prime Originals, Drama, Soundtracks of Cinema, Streaming Originals