The Bergman Island soundtrack includes music by Robin Williamson, Tina Charles and ABBA. This info article contains spoilers and song details for Mia Hansen-Løve’s 2021 movie. Check out Vague Visages’ Soundtracks of Cinema section for more music guides.
Bergman Island stars Vicky Krieps and Tim Roth as Chris and Tony, respectively. The filmmaking couple visits Fårö, the home of the Swedish director Ingmar Bergman. Mia Wasikowska and Anders Danielsen Lie co-star as former lovers who appear as the protagonists of Chris’ unfinished story (the performers also show up as themselves in a narrative twist). The film’s soundtrack was supervised by Raphael Hamburger (Godard Mon Amour), who selected numerous mainstream tracks to accentuate key moments. Here’s every song in Bergman Island.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Cinema: ‘The Worst Person in the World’
Bergman Island Soundtrack: Every Song in the 2021 Movie
- “Gwydion’s Dream” by Robin Williamson (00:05:00): Tony and Chris make their way to Fårö. The Bergman Island soundtrack song plays during the opening credits sequence. “Gwydion’s Dream” fades as the couple arrives at their destination. The music can be heard again at 00:38:00 and 01:34:00.
- “You Won’t Find It Again” by The Go-Betweens (01:04:00): Amy attends a pre-wedding party. A pan shot captures various guests in Fårö. The camera settles on Amy smoking a cigarette.
- “Port Atholl/The Braes of Tulliemet” by Robin Williamson (01:07:00): Amy enjoys bike ride with Joseph. Chris narrates about the activities of her characters. Amy and Joseph arrive at the Rokaur.
- “Det Snurrar I Min Skalle” by Familjen (01:11:00): The Bergman Island soundtrack song scores a wedding reception sequence. Joseph dances with Nicolette (Clara Strauch). The camera pans to Amy walking by herself.
- “I Love to Love (But My Baby Just Loves to Dance)” by Tina Charles (01:12:00): The track plays directly after “Det Snurrar I Min Skalle.” Amy eats a marshmallow by herself. Joseph shows up with a bottle of alcohol.
- “Summer Wine” by Clara Strauch (01:25:00): Nicolette performs a song in front of a crowd. She explains that it’s very important to her and her new husband, Jonas (Joel Spira). Meanwhile, Joseph watches from the crowd.
- “The Winner Takes It All” by Abba (01:27:00): The Bergman Island soundtrack song plays in the background of a conversation scene. Amy tells Joseph that she’d rather stay with him than go to the beach with others. The song picks up when the characters enter a restaurant.
- “Symphony No. 9 in D-4, Adagio (Sehr Langsam)” by Concert Gebouw Orchestra of Amsterdam (01:36:00): Chris enters Bergman’s home in Lauter. She spots a pair of shoes and looks around. Hampus (Hampus Nordenson) appears in a back room.
- “Vem Kan Segla (I Can Sail…)” by Lee Hazlewood & Nina Lizell (01:49:00): The Bergman Island soundtrack song scores the end credits.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Cinema: ‘The Lost City’
The Bergman Island soundtrack also includes:
- “Meggie’s Foy by Robin Williamson
- “Vem Kan Segla” by Harfianne
- “Den Blomstertid Nu Kommer” by Dan Eiderfors
Q.V. Hough (@QVHough) is Vague Visages’ founding editor and chief film critic.