The High Desert soundtrack includes music by X-Ray Spex, Violent Femmes and Bananarama. This info article contains spoilers and song details for Jennifer Hoppe’s Apple TV+ series. Visit the Soundtracks of Television section for more Vague Visages music guides.
High Desert stars Patricia Arquette as Peggy, a drug addict who works as a private investigator. Brad Garrett co-stars as Bruce, the protagonist’s skeptical boss. The storyline follows Peggy as she investigates a former anchorman. Composer Jeff Russo (Fargo) scored the Apple TV+ series; music supervisor Maggie Phillips (The Handmaid’s Tale) handled the featured needle-drops. In addition, Sarah Shook & the Disarmers recorded the intro track, “Talkin’ to Myself.” Here’s every song in High Desert.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Ted Lasso’
High Desert Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 1 “Pain Management”
- “I’ve Got the World on a String” by Frank Sinatra (00:00): The High Desert soundtrack song scores the opening flashback sequence. Peggy hosts a pool party in 2013. Denny (Matt Dillon) talks business with a guest.
- “I Am a Poseur” by X-Ray Spex (00:02): DEA agents approach Peggy’s home. Denny yells, “Blue pig!” Peggy destroys bags of marijuana.
- “Hit or Mess” by Odetta (00:25): The music accompanies an interior scene. Peggy lights sage in her home. She receives a video message from Tammy (Susan Park).
- “Wheel in You” by Sunfields (00:30): Peggy calls her sister. The High Desert soundtrack song continues as she parks her vehicle. Music plays from the speaker system.
- “Flaming Red” by Patty Griffin (00:36): Penny continues a phone call. She realizes that Denny didn’t officially sign divorce papers. The track scores the episode’s final moments and end credits.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘City on Fire’
High Desert Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 2 “Two Knockers and No Boyfriend = A Felony”
- “Rie y Llora” by Celia Cruz (00:01): The High Desert soundtrack song scores the opening sequence. Peggy parks on the side of a road. She thinks about bingo memories.
- “Blister in the Sun” by Violent Femmes (00:15): The music plays during an exterior scene. Peggy parks her vehicle. The track plays again at 00:21.
- “Happy Woman Blues” by Lucinda Williams (00:26): Peggy crashes into a parked semi. The track scores the end credits.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Drops of God’
High Desert Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 3 “I’m Getting Close to This Guru Bastard”
- “(I’m A) TV Savage” by Bow Wow Wow (00:02): A hospital sequence begins. The High Desert soundtrack song plays as Guru Bob (Rupert Friend) enters a room. He holds his detached nipple and faints.
- “Venus” by Bananarama (00:03): Peggy starts her vehicle after a crash. She stops as the music continues. Peggy takes off in her car.
- “The Killer” by Sheer Mag (00:04): The music plays during an exterior scene. Peggy parks her vehicle. She talks to Dianne (Christine Taylor).
- “Where to Start” by Bully (00:10): Peggy finishes a phone call with Carol (Weruche Opia). The High Desert soundtrack song continues during an exterior scene. Peggy exits a parking lot.
- “Nice Work If You Can Ge It” by Mel Tormé (00:32): Peggy finishes a conversation with Guru Bob. The music continues during a transition scene. Peggy discovers that Denny was released early from prison.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘The Last Thing He Told Me’
High Desert Soundtrack: Every Song in Season 1, Episode 4 “Get Judy off the Bed”
- “In Your Room” by The Bangles (00:01): The High Desert soundtrack song scores the opening flashback sequence. Young Peggy (Harlow Jane) throws a suitcase. Her mother says, “Good girl!”
- “Can’t Find My Way Home” by Ellen McIlwaine (00:09): Peggy meets with Denny at Frank’s Restaurant. The music continues during a transition scene. Peggy briefly looks at a magazine.
- “Codeine Arms” by Eilen Jewell (00:14): Peggy finishes a conversation with Bruce. An exterior montage begins. Peggy tries to catch a drone.
- “TBA” by TBA (00:34): Peggy and Denny prepare to have sex. The track scores the end credits.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Platonic’
High Desert airs weekly on Apple TV+. New episodes premiere every Wednesday through June 21, 2023. This article about the High Desert soundtrack will be updated as the series progresses.
Q.V. Hough (@QVHough) is Vague Visages’ founding editor.
Categories: 2020s, Apple TV+ Originals, Comedy, Soundtracks of Television, Streaming Originals
You must be logged in to post a comment.