The Tár soundtrack includes music by Elisa Vargas Fernandez, Count Basie and Edward Elgar. This info article contains spoilers and song details for Todd Field’s 2022 movie on Peacock. Check out Vague Visages’ Soundtracks of Cinema section for more music guides.
Tár stars Cate Blanchett as Lydia Tár, a famous composer. Nina Hoss co-stars as Sharon Goodnow, the protagonist’s wife and collaborator. The storyline follows Lydia as she gets called out by former colleagues while conducting the Berlin Philharmonic. Composer Hildur Guðnadóttir (Women Talking) scored the 158-minute film; music supervisor Lucy Bright (Aftersun) selected the featured needle-drops. Here’s every song in Tár.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Cinema: ‘Halloween Ends’
Tár Soundtrack: Every Song in the 2022 Movie
- “Cura Mente” by Elisa Vargas Fernandez (00:02:00): The Tár soundtrack song scores the opening credits sequence.
- “Li’l Darlin'” by Count Basie & His Orchestra (00:44:00): The track plays during an interior scene. Lydia talks about slowing the music down to 60 beats per minute. She slow dances with Sharon.
- “Symphony No. 5 in D Minor, Op. 47 IV. Finale (Allegro non troppo)” by London Symphony Orchestra and Michael Tilson Thomas (00:46:00): Lydia wakes up in her bed. She sighs and talks to herself. A radio DJ identifies the artist.
- “Tannhäuser und der Sängerkrieg auf Wartburg” by Richard Wagner (00:51:00): The Tár soundtrack song is featured during an audition sequence. Lydia listens to a performance.
- “Messa da Requiem, 3rd Movement (Offertorio)” by Giuseppe Verdi (00:51:00): An audition sequence continues. Sebastian (Allan Corduner) writes down notes.
- “Symphony No. 6 ‘Pathétique,’ 2nd Movement (Allegro con Grassio)” by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky (00:51:00): Lydia listens to an audition performance. The camera captures her from behind in a wide shot. Sharon listens to the music.
- “Symphony No. 5” by Gustav Mahler (00:58:00): The Tár soundtrack song scores a rehearsal sequence. Lydia conducts her orchestra. She speaks to Christian (Peter Hering) in German.
- “Here’s That Rainy Day” by Johnny Burke and Jimmy Van Heusen (01:10:00): The track accompanies an interior scene. Lydia looks at a window. Sharon pours a glass of wine.
- “Cello Concerto in E Minor, Op. 85” by Edward Elgar (01:26:00): Lydia watches a YouTube video. Olga (Sophie Kauer) performs with a youth orchestra. The piece is featured again at 01:39:00.
- “Apartment for Sale” by Cate Blanchett & Todd Field (02:18:00): Lydia plays an accordion. The Tár soundtrack song continues during an interior scene. Lydia plays discordant music.
- “Meeting a Friend” from Monster Hunter: World by Capcom Sound Team (02:33:00): An orchestral sequence begins. An announcer speaks. The camera pans to audience cosplayers as the film ends.
- “Barbarian” by Besomorph & Jurgaz (02:34:00): The track scores the end credits.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Television: ‘Poker Face’
The Tár soundtrack also includes:
- “Das Wohltemperierte Klavier, Präludium und Fugue C-Dur, BWV 846” by Johann Sebastian Bach
- “Thorvaldsdottir” by Anna Thorvaldsdottir
- “Guðnadóttir” by Guðnadóttir
- “Partita for 8 Voices: III. Courante” by Roomful of Teeth
- “Everytime We Say Goodbye” by Cole Porter
- “Yoga Exercises” by Asian Flute Music Oasis
- “Kilometro” by Sarah Geromino
Q.V. Hough (@QVHough) is Vague Visages’ founding editor.
Categories: 2020s, Drama, Music, Soundtracks of Cinema
You must be logged in to post a comment.