The Power of the Dog soundtrack includes music by David Ward, Johann Strauss Sr. and Kirsten Dunst. This info article contains spoilers for Jane Campion’s 2021 Netflix movie. Check out Vague Visages’ Soundtracks of Cinema section for more music guides.
Based on Thomas Savage’s 1967 novel, The Power of the Dog stars Benedict Cumberbatch as a hardened cowboy named Phil. The real-life couple Kirsten Dunst and Jesse Plemons co-star as Rose Gordon and George Burbank, while Australian actor Kodi Smit-McPhee rounds out the main cast as Peter Gordon. The character study examines Phil’s homophobic behavior while offering clues about his past relationship with a male mentor. Radiohead member Jonny Greenwood scored the Netflix adaptation; music supervisor Andrew Kotatko (The Nightingale) assembled the featured tracks. Here’s every song in The Power of the Dog.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Cinema: ‘F*ck Love Too’
The Power of the Dog Soundtrack: Every Song in the 2021 Netflix Movie
- “If You Knew Susie (Like I Know Susie)” by Buddy DeSylva and Joseph Meyer (00:14:00): A piano player performs The Power of the Dog soundtrack song at a tavern. The crowd sings along. Phil complains about the noise and threatens the piano player.
- “There’ll Be a Hot Time in the Old Town Tonight” by Theodore A. Metz and Joey Hayden (00:18:00): Tavern patrons enjoy themselves and dance. Phil sings the song while standing by myself.
- “Charleston” by Cecil Mack and James P. Johnson (00:25:00): George visits Rose. He suspects that patrons have been drinking a little more than just wine. Rose regrets putting the piano in the room.
- “Ridicule of Rose” by David Ward (00:39:00): Phil plays a banjo in bed. He mocks the “cheap schemer” Rose with his improvised lyrics. The Power of the Dog soundtrack song cuts when Phil hears someone near his door.
- “Ugly Duet” by Kirsten Dunst and David Ward (00:48:00): Rose practices on her Mason & Hamlin baby grand piano. Phil plays his banjo from elsewhere in the home. Cumberbatch’s character plays aggressively and stares at Rose.
- “Goodbye Monterey” by Sean Keenan (01:17:00): Sven (Sean Keenan) plays a guitar. Various local men work nearby. The Power of the Dog soundtrack song fades as Phil carries a bucket of water.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Cinema: ‘A Perfect Pairing’
The Power of the Dog soundtrack also includes:
- “Katy Did” by David Ward
- “Radetzky March” Op. 228 by Johann Strauss Sr.
Q.V. Hough (@QVHough) is Vague Visages’ founding editor.