The Jagged soundtrack includes music by the featured subject, Alanis Morissette. This info article contains spoilers and song details for Alison Klayman’s 2021 HBO Max documentary. Check out Vague Visages’ Soundtracks of Cinema section for more music guides.
Jagged celebrates the legacy and career of Canadian musician Alanis Morissette. As part of Bill Simmons’ Music Box documentary series, the film specifically examines the making of the subject’s 1995 album Jagged Little Pill. Music supervisor Aminé Ramer (Crip Camp) handled the placing of the tracks, some of which can be heard multiple times throughout the 99-minute production. Here’s every featured soundtrack song in Jagged.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Cinema: ‘The Valet’
Jagged Soundtrack: Every Song in the HBO Max Documentary
- “Right Through You” by Alanis Morissette (00:19:00): Alanis discusses her integrity as a young artist. She introduces the track during a live performance. The Jagged soundtrack song thematically underlines the subject’s frustration with patronizing men.
- “The Bottom Line” by Alanis Morissette (00:24:00): Alanis recalls writing the song with Glen Ballard. Graphics highlight the lyrics. Ballard hums the song during an interview and praises the line “And we’ll hear the sound of pretenses falling.”
- “You Learn” by Alanis Morissette (00:26:00): Glen discusses his 20 sessions with Alanis between February 1994 and February 1995. He describes being amused by the “hand-made” project. The song is featured again at 00:55:00 during a performance at the Virgin Megastore.
- “All I Really Want” by Alanis Morissette (00:28:00): Alanis returns to Canada after several business rejections. Glen remembers when she came back to L.A. with new music. The Jagged soundtrack song scores a montage sequence about Alanis’ demeanor and appearance.
- “Perfect” by Alanis Morissette (00:31:00): Guy Oseary reflects about hearing a recording of Alanis’ song. The music plays over a photo shoot sequence. Oseary states that he was “floored” after 30 seconds.
- “You Oughta Know” by Alanis Morissette (00:34:00): Guy discusses the production of Jagged Little Pill. Lisa Corden, a KROQ music executive, speaks about the importance of radio promotion during the 90s. The track is featured again at 00:46:00, 01:07:00 and 01:27:00.
- “Wake Up” by Alanis Morissette (00:47:00): The Jagged soundtrack song scores a tour sequence. Alanis performs at The Dragonfly and discovers people lined up around the block. The 21-year-old musician prepares for the next stage of her career.
- “Hand in My Pocket” by Alanis Morissette (00:50:00): Alanis’ momentum goes “nuclear.” She performs the song live. Archival footage highlights reactions from fans.
- “Ironic” by Alanis Morissette (01:13:00): Glen remembers that the song was unpopular amongst music executives. The sequence complements interview commentaries about the humorous aspects of Jagged Little Pill. Glen says that Alanis “fucking nailed it.”
- “Mary Jane” by Alanis Morissette (01:24:00): Alanis reflects about Taylor Hawkins leaving her band to join Foo Fighters. The Jagged soundtrack song plays over footage of the subject in a bathtub. Alanis performs the music live on stage.
- “Head Over Feet” by Alanis Morissette (01:35:00): Alanis speaks about the legacy of Jagged Little Pill. She describes a “velvet kindness” that transcends above the “hopeless” themes. The song plays during the end credits.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Cinema: ‘Toscana’
The Jagged soundtrack also includes:
- “Fate Stay With Me” by Alanis Morissette
- “You Oughta Know” by Scala & Kolacny Brothers
- “Not the Doctor” by Alanis Morissette
- “Ablaze” by Alanis Morissette
Q.V. Hough (@QVHough) is Vague Visages’ founding editor.