The Everybody’s Talking About Jamie soundtrack features vocal performances by Max Harwood, Richard E. Grant and Sharon Horgan. This info article contains spoilers and song details for Jonathan Butterell’s 2021 Amazon Prime movie. Visit the Soundtracks of Cinema section for more Vague Visages music guides.
Everybody’s Talking About Jamie stars Max Harwood as the 16-year-old title character. A native of Sheffield, he aspires to be a famous drag queen. Jamie receives mentorship from a former performer known as Loco Chanelle (Richard E. Grant), and learns how to be himself in public while still channeling his alter ego, Mimi Mi. Supervised by Becky Bentham (Sing Street, Bohemian Rhapsody), the Everybody’s Talking About Jamie soundtrack includes several performances from the main cast members. Here’s every song in the 2021 movie, an adaptation of the popular stage musical.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Cinema: ‘Persuasion’
Everybody’s Talking About Jamie Soundtrack: Every Song in the 2021 Movie
- “Everything” by Becky Hill (00:00:00): The Everybody’s Talking About Jamie soundtrack song plays over an opening graphic joke, and then continues over a Sheffield landscape visual. Jamie wakes up and delivers newspapers. “Everything” scores a subsequent title card sequence in which the protagonist wears a crown — a moment that aligns with the self-empowering song lyrics.
- “Don’t Even Know It” by Max Harwood and Year 11 Ensemble (00:07:00): Jamie performs during a school dream sequence. The song mashes up with “Kiss the Sun’ from later in the movie. “Don’t Even Know It” foreshadows Jamie’s future as a performer.
- “Wall in My Head” by Max Harwood (00:16:00): Jamie reflects about his childhood. He wears red heels, a gift from his adoring his mother, Margaret (Sarah Lancashire). The Everybody’s Talking About Jamie soundtrack song picks up as the protagonist imagines a better future.
- “Spotlight” by Lauren Patel and the Mopettes (00:25:00): Pritti (Lauren Patel) urges Jamie to come out as a drag queen at prom. She then breaks into song and offers advice. Pritti continues to perform while imagining the upcoming year 11 event.
- “Spotlight Reprise” by Max Harwood, Lauren Patel and the Mopettes (00:26:00): Jamie accepts Pritti’s advice. He sing about being a “teenage sensation.”
- “This Was Me” by Richard E. Grant (00:38:00): Hugo remembers his drag queen days as Loco Chanelle. The Everybody’s Talking About Jamie soundtrack song scores an 80s sequence. In a moment of surrealism, both Jamie and Hugo show up during a 1988 clip.
- “Werk Girl” by Todrick Hall (00:49:00): Jamie works for Ray. He adds money to “The Dress Fun” jar and eventually earns enough for a purchase at House of Loco.
- “Work of Art” by Sharon Horgan, Max Harwood and the Year 11 Ensemble (00:54:00): Miss Hedge (Sharon Horgan) performs during a stylish museum sequence. Jamie imagines his teacher trolling him. The protagonist then embraces the challenge of becoming a proper drag queen.
- “Over the Top” by Richard E. Grant (01:00:00): Jamie prepares for his first drag show. Loco Chanelle offers lessons about what to expect. Margaret worries about trolls in the audience.
- “Everybody’s Talking About Jamie” by Year 11 Ensemble and Mayfield School (01:06:00): Various student recall Jamie’s first drag performance. They sing during an extended school sequence.
- “It Means Beautiful” by Lauren Patel (01:15:00): Pritti urges Jamie to prioritize himself over a contrived persona. A flashback sequence shows a younger version of Harwood’s character admiring heels and a dress. Wayne (Ralph Ineson) spots young Jamie wearing makeup and gets angry.
- “It Means Beautiful Reprise” by Lauren Patel (01:20:00): Pritti continues singing after Jamie leaves her bedroom. In the present, Jamie asks his father about sending flowers.
- “He’s My Boy” by Sarah Lancashire (01:23:00): Margaret reflects about deceiving her son over the years. She sings about wanting to please her son, “a perfect mistake.” The Everybody’s Talking About Jamie soundtrack song scores an extended montage sequence that concludes with Harwood’s character being attacked at a football game.
- “My Man Your Boy” by Max Harwood and Sarah Lancashire (01:33:00): Jamie sings to his mother and apologizes for his past behavior. Margarets joins in and says that she’ll alway be her son’s biggest fan.
- “While You’re Still Young” by The Feeling feat. Sophie Ellis-Bextor (01:36:00): Various students prepare for prom. Dean (Samuel Bottomley), the school bully, looks at his father who is presumably passed out on the couch.
- “Out of the Darkness” by Max Harwood and the Year 11 Ensemble (01:45:00): Dean escorts Jamie into the prom. He then apologizes to Pritti. Jamie leads a celebratory group dance sequence.
- “When the Time Comes” by Chaka Khan (01:50:00): The Everybody’s Talking About Jamie soundtrack song plays over the end credits. The Amazon Prime movie includes footage from Jenny Popplewell’s 2011 documentary Jamie: Drag Queen at 16.
- “Everybody’s Talking About Jamie” by The Feeling (01:52:00): The second song to play during the credits.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Cinema: ‘The Sea Beast’
The Everybody’s Talking About Jamie soundtrack also includes:
- “Hot Hot Hot” by Arrow
- “This Was Me” by Holly Johnson
- “Kiss the Sun” by Beverley Knight
Q.V. Hough (@QVHough) is Vague Visages’ founding editor.