The Spencer soundtrack includes music by Jonny Greenwood and Mike + The Mechanics. This info article contains spoilers for Pablo Larraín’s 2021 movie. Check out Vague Visages’ Soundtracks of Cinema section for more music guides.
Spencer stars Kristen Stewart as the late Princess Diana. Timothy Spall co-stars as Alistair Gregory, the Queen’s equerry who keeps an eye on the Princess of Wales during a December 1991 gathering. The storyline explores Diana’s frame of mind as she reflects about her upbringing while rebelling against the Royal Family. Composer Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead scored the majority of the film, which includes one needle-drop tune in the third act, courtesy of music supervisor Nick Angel (Attack the Block). Here’s a breakdown of the featured music in Spencer.
Read More at VV — Soundtracks of Cinema: ‘All the Old Knives’
Spencer Soundtrack: Every Song in the 2021 Movie
- “Spencer” by Jonny Greenwood (00:03:00): Diana drives in the countryside near the Queen’s Sandringham estate. The Spencer soundtrack song continues as chef Darren McGrady (Sean Harris) prepares for a royal meal. “Spencer” also plays at 00:25:00 and 00:45:00.
- “Spencer” by Jonny Greenwood (00:06:00): Diana continues driving. A wide shot captures her in a vehicle. She pulls into a gas station; the song also plays at 01:45:00 when Diana takes her boys away from a hunting gathering.
- “Arrival” by Jonny Greenwood (00:08:00): A wide shot shows two vehicles arriving at the Sandringham estate. Major Alistair Gregory (Timothy Spall) speaks with Princess Anne (Elizabeth Berrington) inside. They discuss Diana’s impending arrival.
- “The Pearls” by Jonny Greenwood (00:30:00): Darren urges his staff to give their best for the Princess of Wales. Diana navigates a Sandringham gathering wearing pearls. The Spencer soundtrack song scores a dinner sequence.
- “New Currency” by Jonny Greenwood (00:40:00): Alistair wishes Diana a happy Christmas. He stares and exits the kitchen. Diana eats and then gets caught roaming outside, thus creating “new currency” for people to use against her.
- “Press Call” by Jonny Greenwood (00:53:00): Diana leaves a church service. She speaks with Prince William (Jack Nielen) outside. The press takes photos of the Royal Family.
- “Delusion / Miracle” by Jonny Greenwood (01:12:00): The Spencer soundtrack song scores an exterior sequence. Alistair stands up to Diana and demands that she arrive for dinner on time. The Princess of Wales asks whether he put a book about Anne Boleyn in her bedroom.
- “Home / Lacrimosa” by Jonny Greenwood (01:25:00): Diana arrives at her childhood home near the Sandringham estate. She walks with a flashlight and stops on a creaky staircase.
- “Crucifix” by Jonny Greenwood (01:29:00): Anne Boleyn (Amy Manson) appears as a ghost to Diana. She urges the Princess of Wales to run. The Spencer soundtrack song scores a montage sequence.
- “Ancient and Modern” by Jonny Greenwood (01:41:00): Diana speaks to Maggie (Sally Hawkins) about “currency.” She states that she likes “simple” and “ordinary” things. Maggie holds the Princess of Wales’ hand before they part ways.
- “All I Need Is a Miracle” by Mike + The Mechanics (01:46:00): The Spencer soundtrack song scores a car sequence. Diana turns up the volume on her stereo. She enjoys a road trip with William and Harry (Freddie Spry).
Q.V. Hough (@QVHough) is Vague Visages’ founding editor.
Q.V. (Quinn) Hough is Vague Visages’ founding editor.